Logo

85 HP yearmodel identification

"I recently aquired a 85 hp fo

"I recently aquired a 85 hp force motor. Some of the harness wiring was damaged by what appears to be a mouse. I know it needs a water pump, and a good carb cleaning. The olny problem is that the model # is not coming up on the site I usually use to find this stuff. It is the black/charcoal color, with the blue prestolite ignition system and had 3 cylinders w/ 3 carbs. On the tag at the base of the pivot clamp it says: X858F9F for the model and the serial # is X18605. Any help would be appreciated."

"brian, i can't find it ei

"brian, i can't find it either & my linc is pretty good...i would guess it's a 1989. only because of the # just before the last letter. i have 856X4L & mine is a '84, and, the model & serial # site i have is consistent to that on 50hp thru 85hp. you may want to ck w/ mercury people as those late 80's were made by them."

"Thanks, I just got a reply ba

"Thanks, I just got a reply back that is is a 89, and that the 8 is for the long shaft w/ tilt & trim. Still no explination on the x though. Guess from here I'm gonna get it running and sell it.....it is bigger than my boat is rated for - insurance did not like the thought of it on the boat!"

"I found H858f89f
FK1204 shou

"I found H858f89f
FK1204 should be the pump kit.
FK10209 is the gasket set for the carb's. You really don't need the whole kit.
Unless you have to press out the idle straw.
warning.gif
The main jet may be spring loaded. These are known for getting lost when people drop the bowls on the engine.
warning.gif
"

"Thanks Bandit, I just got it

"Thanks Bandit, I just got it tore down in the shop to start the repair. Found the top carb butterfly stuck closed and it is soaking now."

Back