Logo

150 hp XR6 Hard to Start when Warm

D

David Schroeder

"I have a 2000 XR6 150hp. Sta

"I have a 2000 XR6 150hp. Starts relatively easily when cold. Runs fine throughout the RPM range. After warmed up, if I stop this engine and let sit for more than 10 seconds, it is very difficult to restart. If I stop it and imediately restart, it fires right up. If I let it sit for any amount of time, have to pump, crank, prime...try everything to get it restarted. Has been like this for a while, but it is getting worse every week. Any ideas?"

"David, it sounds like it coul

"David, it sounds like it could possibly be an ignition problem. When copper windings start to fail/break etc they sometimes only lose continuity when warm. The copper expands creating a gap.

This may not be your issue, but one that should be ruled out. If you have or can borrow a timing light, take it out with you and see if you are losing spark when it is "hard starting".

Alternately, you could cheat like I do, and just take a blow dryer to the motor when it's sitting in the driveway - just don't melt any hoses/lines - it heats things up real good..."

"Thanks for responding.
I too

"Thanks for responding.
I took it to the dealer, and they tell me that my stator is bad and needs to be replaced. Sounds like what you are talking about...ballpark.
They say this will fix the problem.
Do you agree?"

"David, the stator would defin

"David, the stator would definately be at the top of my list of parts to troubleshoot.

If the shop is reputable they will check it out first before doing a simple pull and replace. Although sometimes difficult to find an intermittent ignition problem, it can be done.

But in general, do agree with their assessment - stator is "most likely" the culprit in this case..."

"Got the boat back, and it def

"Got the boat back, and it definitely starts better. Dealer also performed lynk and sync, but in the water, my idle wanders from 650 RPM cold, to almost 400 RPM when warm (stalling engine). Even lower in gear. Bumped up the idle, and now it runs 850-1000RPM cold, and 600-650 warm. What's going on with this?"

Back