Logo

Compatible engine

J

jbell0565

"Hello, what other engines wou

"Hello, what other engines would be compatible with my Cobra 400 outdrive. Just looking at my options. I've currently got a 2.3 4cyl. She's knocking, and i'm considering just finding a used replacement."

what do you consider compatibl

what do you consider compatible? a drop in replacement? another 2.3 is your only option - transom plate unique to the 2.3

"Yes, just a drop in. Really d

"Yes, just a drop in. Really didn't see anything about the transom that would be unique to the motor. Since they are seperate. And just the shaft of the outdrive slides into the engine coupler. I realize the size and HP of the motor would be unique to the outdrive it's self due to gearing, just not sure what else may be. For instance maybe a 3.0 OMC."

"well, maybe.... but I thought

"well, maybe.... but I thought they were different. If your measuring tape says it'll work, then it should be easy - a 3.0 would sure be nicer than the Ford. parts books are all online - easy enough for you to go see what numbers agree or disagree between the 2 transom assemblies.
Outdrive splines are all the same and with a prop change your 2.3 geared outdrive would probably be close enough"

Back