Logo

HeatingAir

alaska_av8r

Contributing Member
"I am looking to install a rev

"I am looking to install a reverse cycle heating and air unit on my 29 ft cruisers, any gotcha's or what to look out for in a unit. Currently looking at a 12000 btu by oceanbreeze."

"I have an oceanbreeze on my b

"I have an oceanbreeze on my boat (29' Ocean). I've only had the boat half a season, but the few times I had the A/C on, it worked great. Simple units too...but the digital control is kind of quirky"

the boat came with it installe

the boat came with it installed...but I have the original wiring diagrams and owners manual (the unit is only a few years old) and it looks pretty simple...

"When picking the unit,keep in

"When picking the unit,keep in mind the power source.Do you have an on-board generator?And is it big enough for the starting draw?Know a few that can only run them in their slip.Also might want to take a look and plan your duct work to make sure it fits, if the boat does not already have it...Todd"

"I have the Oceanbreeze 32k BT

"I have the Oceanbreeze 32k BTU dual compressor, reverse cycle 120v unit. I have had it for 3 years with little problems. I had to play around with the right combination of water pumps and the return air to keep it from over heating or freezing."

"I will be mostly powering it

"I will be mostly powering it in a slip, but plan on installing a generator in the next month or so.

What about the self contained units??? Do you need to do thru hulls and pumps etc with those. I figure that I will only want air conditioning while sleeping which will be a much cooler time of day and would prefer not to have to cut holes in the boat. Probably a 10,000 btu....?"

"Self contained are the hatch

"Self contained are the hatch units which you simply plug in....If gen is not installed yet, then I would make sure it can handle at least 20 amps.Believe the 7K units draw 13 amps at start up approx....The plumbing is not all that dificult, but getting the duct work thru can be another story.Just need some good ole planning and when you get it...I bet you use it more than you think.....Todd"

"That's a marine air. You

"That's a marine air. You can see the hose ends coming off the heat exchanger. You'll need a seacock for water pickup, a thru hull for discharge and the appropriate water pump. You'll also need the appropriate ducting and vents. Also you will need to handle the condensate drainage. I have mine drain into a shower pan then it gets pumped out when needed."

"Tim,

Self contained means

"Tim,

Self contained means it is a one piece unit as compared to a split system which has a separate compressor and air handler. Depending on the manufacturer, self contained units generally go up to 18K and split systems can go to 36K or more BTUs. All units require a pump with thru hull pick-up and discharge, I also highly recommend a sea strainer. 6.5 K genset is more than enough for two units the size you are looking at and by the way, that is not a Marine Air, it's a Webasto.

If you can use 230 volt, I have a bunch of them I will be listing on e-bay. All the 110V units I had sold in minutes.

http://stores.ebay.com/Boat-Stuff-and-More_W0QQsspagenameZMEQ3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm"

"Rick thank you for the clarif

"Rick thank you for the clarification, that makes sense to me. Wow I wish I had known you had some 110V units, I am looking at around $1500 for a complete package 12,000 btu with everything included....ouch.....

I just visited your ebay store....haha I actually am watching the horn....mine sucks intead of blows...sounds like a muppett horn..."

"okay guys I went with an Ocea

"okay guys I went with an Ocean Breeze 10,000 btu.

Now the fun part, plumbing...anyone out there have any idea where they run the duct work on a 1986 Cruisers Elegante........and I thought those contortions I have performed in the engine room were over with....yipes"

The question is not "where

The question is not "where" but "when". It's real easy before they put the deck on.

"Lol thanks Rick, well I don&#

"Lol thanks Rick, well I don't have a deck removal tool, but I am curious where they run the ducts at least that would give me a head start."

"Am sure you have somewhat of

"Am sure you have somewhat of a plan, but here are some things that I have found in installing a few of these systems.
1...when mounting the system,make sure all plugs are out of the hoses that they put in from factory so no dirt gets in.
2...When drilling thru hull for water inlet,keep in mind where supports are and where air can cavitate such as in a step hull(not sure what your hull shape is exactly Tim)
3...2 hose clamps for each fitting below waterline.
4...condensate line.In bilge,gravity release, or sump pit?
5...before running duct you need to plan your returns as well as they need space, unless putting unit in an area that you can cut an area out to apply large screen/filter
6...keep outlets as far away from return areas as possible to prevent freeze-up of unit.
7...a lot of times duct goes thru storage areas or seating areas,so I use 4" thinwall PVC pipe instead of the flex duct they give so you can store things around it.It glues together so no worry of pulling apart.
8...some boats if you feel the carpet in the seating/storage area-you will find soft spots where the carpet was run, but they had cutout areas in the supports where the models that came thru with AC ran their duct.
9...Call a dealer for paperwork from that year boat as they will have the info of how it was installed from factory.
10...perhaps some of this was a help to you...Todd"

"Thanks Todd, those are some v

"Thanks Todd, those are some very good points, I will contact Cruisers and see if they have any schematics that will help..."

Am sure they can tell you or s

Am sure they can tell you or send you a diagram of how they ran all the components...Todd..Have fun as you will get it in I am sure

Back