Logo

318 carb problems HELP

andrewmaeyaert

Contributing Member
"i just finished rebuilding my

"i just finished rebuilding my chrysler 318 in the garage. I went to start it the other day, and it doesn't want to run right. If i pour gas down the carb, it will run great for 15 seconds, and then die. upon further examination i found the floats were stuck closed. I resolved this problem, but it still does the exact same thing. any ideas? It is equipped with a carter four barrel carb."

"How are you feeding fuel to i

"How are you feeding fuel to it?

Jeff

PS: Those carbs are non-rebuildable after 20 years or so--especially with the use of ethanol gas (that eats holes in them). Better plan on springing for an Edelbrock marine carb, 600 CFM. I bought mine on Amazon.com (believe it or not). About 300 bucks."

"there is a coper fuel line th

"there is a coper fuel line that runs from a steel tank in the back of the boat to a mechanical fuel pump. to get it to fire off, we splashed some gas down the carb neck form a gas can."

"I know this might seem stupid

"I know this might seem stupid, but is there enough gas in the tank ?"

"yes. the fuel pump is pumping

"yes. the fuel pump is pumping plenty of gas, its just not getting to the engine which is confusing because i just boiled the carb in water and viniger for 3 hours, then cleaned it with carb cleaner. I am just "stumped""

Sounds like you need to soak i

Sounds like you need to soak it in CARB cleaner and then blow out all the passages.

Jeff

"i bought it from napa. i rebu

"i bought it from napa. i rebuilt the carb, and it still does the same thing. I will start, and run great for a few seconds, then it will sputter out. I am completely sumped. there is gas in the bowls when i take the top off, but some how it is not getting to the engine. the carb is spotless, and all of the jets are clean."

Maybe it is electrical? Try re

Maybe it is electrical? Try replacing your ballast resistor or electronic control module if you have spares.

"I would try that if i knew wh

"I would try that if i knew what they were! lol. When it comes to electric stuff, i am useless. Anyway, maybe this info will help: I went through the whole thing again, and here is the new situation. It will start and run fine, but only if the choke is closed. If you rev it up to about 2500 rpms, it will stay running for about 30 sec to am 1 min, or even longer, but as soon as you bring her back down to idle, it dies, unless you are right there with the choke to feed he more gas. any thoughts?"

"Hi Everybody,

I have the s

"Hi Everybody,

I have the same problem and could have written Andrew's post. I think it is electrical or maybe the choke.... Call me at 617.240.2900 if you might be able to help. Thanks!"

"resolution: Well, i learned s

"resolution: Well, i learned something today. when dealing with carbs, if first you don't succeed, tear it apart again. i sat down and had a beer while i scratched my head for a while. then,i tore my carb down again and thoroughly sprayed everything out with carb cleaner. (for the fourth time) then put it all back together. For some magical reason, it worked. it runs, and idles fine now. there is some slight hesitation when you give it some gas know. hopefully "sea-foam" will help. hope this helps don."

That hesistation is normal wit

That hesistation is normal with that carb and hard to get rid of. Be sure the accelerator pump linkage arm is in the richest shot position (the shortest arm).

Jeff

"Just curious...are those

"Just curious...are those accelerator pumps still leather?"

Yes. I just bought 2 rebuild kits and the new accelerator pump uses a leather gasket around the piston.}

Back