Logo

Wiring help needed

satmac

"I have been trying to wire a

"I have been trying to wire a 2001 Johnson motor to a 1991 control binnacle.I realize the wiring is dummy proof according to colors.I cut the cable coming from the control box,there are 8 wires. I cut the snap on plug from the 2001 wiring harness there were 6 wires.I spliced all same color wires and there were 2 wires left. one was tan or light brown. the other one is grey. I do not know where to hook these two wires. Also, I installed a tach with the warning lights. The snap on plug, hot and ground wires is all I hooked up here.Should there have been other wires hooked up there also?
The harness had a grey,purple,and black.and another three wires almost identical to the three just mentioned. Can someone tell me where to hook these wires to. Or can someone lead me to a schematic.Thank you"

tan would be overheat to hot h

tan would be overheat to hot horn/ grey tach signal the purple 12 volts key on power black ground could go to tack also iwould check warning sys. by grounding sensor leads just to make sure they work

There was an adapter from your

There was an adapter from your old motor to the new motor. It sounds like you no longer can use it. I am surprized that you did not have the tan and grey wires in the old harness. They have been a standard color for many years. I am surprized that the '91 harness had a System Check DIP for the Tacho. I thought that came in in '94 or so.

"Thanks A waterman for your re

"Thanks A waterman for your response.I will see If I can trace these wires to their right destination.You know , the tan wire is coming out of the binnacle . Should it lead to a plug on the harness. If so which plug.
Thank You also Chris 1956 I wish I had known there was an adapter to convert a new harness to an old control box.I do have the tan wire in the old harness, It is not on the new harness ,unless I am over looking it somewhere. It was the harness that came with the newer model motor that had the system check dip for the tacho.I was wondering if anything connected to the tacho besides the DIP and ground and hot. Also after posting my distress message I found this web site that may help someone .Thanks again satmac http://www.brokeboats.com/electrical.html"

Back