Logo

Problem after problem with 200hp saltwater series HELP

C

csl594

"Hi everyone, I have a pair of

"Hi everyone, I have a pair of 2004 Merc. 200hp saltwater series outboards on a 27ft. Let me start by saying we have a new lower unit on the port motor and new powerhead on the starboard motor. I have had nothing but problems with these motors and luckily they are still under warranty..But..I take it in to my dealer and he likes selling boats but doesnt like fixing them and takes forever to fix stuff. Hers my problem now..I run the boat up to full throttle and the starboard motor will go to 5300rpm and the port motor will go 5000rpm and slowly decrease rpm till it gets to 4000rpm and then hold. I can run both motors at 4000rpm and they are fine all day except the one motor with low rpm smokes really bad like its not getting enough fuel to oil mix. So I ran new fuel lines and put in a water fuel seperator. Went back out and sure enough they still do the same so its not a restriction I dont think. you can go back there and pump the bulb but it doesnt help. So that leaves me at thinking its a tuning of the carbs. I think since they put the new motor on they adjusted the fuel to the flow of gas that the old line(that were heavily junked up) was flowing. Because now the motor is not running hot but seems like it is loading up on fuel because of the heavy flow of smoke(seems like its bringing in way too much oil and gas) explaining why it likes the 4000rpm range because its the engine is hot but not a full throttle of fuel. Me and my friend have been racing powersports for awhile and are smarter than the average guys and was wondering if someone one could give us some advice on outboard tuning...we dont want to go in there turning screws we know nothing about. Or we will try anything else you outboard gods suggest.I was told if you want to go fast put black on the back and if you want reliable then put yamaha on the back..at this point I just want reliable.LOL Thanks,Chris"

Hook up a timing light to each

Hook up a timing light to each plug to check operation of ignition to it.Look into carburetor bores with a strong flashlight to compare fuel coming up the main jets.Replace fuel pump diaphragm.

Back