Logo

Springs for Prestolite distributor centrifugal advance weights

joysea

"I have a Volvo-Penta AQ260A e

"I have a Volvo-Penta AQ260A engine with a Prestolite distributor, model number IBM7011A10L. One of the springs for the centrifugal advance weights has disintigrated. From the remains I found in the distributor it seems the two springs are different sizes and I need the smaller one. A check with a couple of local (Vancouver,BC) VP dealers indicates the springs are not available from VP or their normal suppliers. I know this is an old distributor but I hate to spend the money on a completely new distributor when such a small item is missing. Any sugestion as to where I could get the springs? It is not so much getting some springs but getting springs that have the correct tension to provide the proper advance curve.
Thanks, Bill"

"Bill, my advice is that you t

"Bill, my advice is that you take the distributor to a shop where they can service it and test the advance graph in a distributor test machine. They will likely charge you a small fee, but I think it is worth it. By just replacing the springs without testing the distributor you can do more harm than good to your engine if the advance curve is incorrect."

Back