Logo

200 HP Optimax

det_det

"I have a 2000 Mercury Optimax

"I have a 2000 Mercury Optimax out board motor and after about 10 minutes of running at almost full throttle the buzzer goes off and the engine shuts down and the temp gauge reads 220-250 degrees, yet the motor is cool and not running hot. I've checked everything out and put a new water pump on it this week. It didn't change a thing. I can run it all day at 4 MPH and it's fine but anything over 1000 RPM and it shuts down. Any suggestions????"

verify with ir sensor. check h

verify with ir sensor. check head temp and compressor temp at overheat. when you say temp gauge what do you mean? analog gauge? smartcraft module?

"by digital reading i'm gu

"by digital reading i'm guessing you mean smartctaft module. the module will only show you temperature for one of the heads. i think it was starbord. you have a sensor in the top of both heads and the air compressor. it is possible that the other head or the compressor is overheating. if you can pick up an infrared temp sensor, shoot the top of both heads and the head of the compressor while you hear the overheat alarm. You can also use your hand, but be careful don't get burned!. Opti's typically run cool. it should feel warm to the touch. not hot."

When the alarm went off and sh

When the alarm went off and shut down the motor with a temp reading of 235 I took the cover off the motor and could hold my hand anywhere on the motor and it was nothing more than warm.

sounds like a sensor failure.

sounds like a sensor failure. you need a ir sensor and an ohms meter to diagnose. i'd verify head/compressor temp at overheat with an ir to be safe.

With that said I think I bette

With that said I think I better take it to a Merc dealer. The closest one is about 80 miles from us so I was trying to fix it myself. Thank you very much for taking the time to give me your ideas. Really appreciate it.

Back