Logo

Merc in line 4 intake exhaust valve layout

dive7mmwet

"I am putting in some new hydr

"I am putting in some new hydraulic liffters,dont have the manifold off so I need to know from the front of engine 1985 in line 4 cyl - 3.0l the valve layout its not in my book,from the front what is the valve lay out so I can re set the valve lash.
Thanks
Brad"

"Not very familiar with the 4

"Not very familiar with the 4 bnager, but is it not fairly obvious as you look at how the intake and exhaust manifold connections line up with the head?

Rod"

Buy a Merc. Factory Engine Ser

Buy a Merc. Factory Engine Service Manual for the year of your engine and an OD manual from eBay.

"Brad
They should be hydraul

"Brad
They should be hydraulic so it doesn't really matter the valve layout. Just set them in a closed (compression mode). Or, follow the manifold and go with the industry standard eg. intake exhaust exhaust intake intake exhaust exhaust intake, however it is set up from No. 1 cylinder..
Bert"

Bert:

I've seen the lif

Bert:

I've seen the lifters soaked in oil to "prime" them before installation; what's your opinion? Thanks for the parts CD...it comes in handy.

Guy

"Guy
You're welcome. I pe

"Guy
You're welcome. I personally fill a can with clean oil and drop a lifter in standing up, I then use a screwdriver to push down on the lifter and pump it up that way until it loads up. But I must say, I have never had a set work perfectly off the bat, after doing that. Always seem to have to adjust while idling to be certain.
biggrin.gif

Bert"

"I also use the soak and pump

"I also use the soak and pump method to get all the air out of the lifter before installation since you do not want to start the engine with dry lifters. For many years/engines this technique has always worked well.

It has been about 20 years since I last rebuilt a 4 cyl merc engine, so I cannot recall any particular valve details."

"You guys don't read, The

"You guys don't read, The water jacket is on!Hello!!manifold if you can see thru steel man You guys are good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the book, it don't show what I need #1
and #2 i don't trust a blow up pull up lay out shot!
And yes I soak the lifters overnight.

I need to know yes I can set #1 HOLE WITH PISTON ON COMPRESSION STROKE to set exhaust and intake but as per manual need to rotate to get others as per book in sequence"

"Brad
Loosen all the valve ad

"Brad
Loosen all the valve adjusting nuts right off. Then put No.1 in compression state. Set both valves as per manual.
After you have No.1 done, insert your finger into No.2 spark plug hole and rotate until you get compression again, then set that holes valves. Then put your finger in number 3 spark plug hole and repeat procedure for 3 and 4. Should get you in the ball park. for starting"

"Brad The valves are in pairs

"Brad The valves are in pairs,2 for each cyl. Do one cyl at a time. watch rockers as you turn over motor. when one rocker is all the way up, the other will be all the way down,ADJUST THE ONE THAT IS DONW, turn over motor untill the other rocker is all the way up and adjust the other one (the one thatt is down.
Repeat for each cyl.

easy as that."

"Ok Thanks, Got it!
Well its

"Ok Thanks, Got it!
Well its not the hydraulic lifter,still has a tap so now I pulled the head to check valves & guides-springs ect,, then looks like I got to pull the block unless the cam shaft has that bad fiber gear but I just don't think that's my taping sound & I cant find any service bulletin and now my Merc guy is not a merc guy due to he has to have so many mercs in boats and parts in stock-!"

Maybe one of your friends put

Maybe one of your friends put a few ball bearings in the oilpan via the dipstick.

Back