Logo

Seeking El Pescador

"Hello El,

I'm new to t

"Hello El,

I'm new to this as of tonight...but in reading thru all the threads I could handle, I noted with high regard your responses. You clearly know what you're doing, and appear to have a wealth of knowledge. I hope you'll take a look at my post, and perhaps you can assist me as well. I've got over 40 years with internal combustion engines, and actually make my living at it!! I've 'fixed' everything from old Hemi motors to Harleys. I've never been much of 2-cycle stuff....but I'm not bad with 4-strokers. But...this problem really has me baffled!! If you're up for the challenge, I could REALLY use the help!! My email address and phone numbers are at the end of my post, and I'd really love to hear from you. Also, having been victem of being towed from the Chesapeake Bay with only a Failed set of Ignition Points in the past....I'd LOVE to know if there's an electronic Ignition system for the engine of mine as well. ( I saw your post about this on another entry). By the way...the engine is definately a 230B...it's marked as such on a Plate on the back of the Casting. So, while the boat's a '94, my local VP parts dealer is telling me it's the last of the '93 series of true Volvo Block engines. Perhaps you can add some information to that aspect of all this as well. Thanks in advance for your help. Kind Regards, Tom Dickinson"

"Thomas, your engine is a 4 cy

"Thomas, your engine is a 4 cylinder OHC VP, similar to the AQ131. Therefore, it will take a Pertronix 2842 electronic ignition kit with no problems. You can order it from a local autoparts store or contact Pertronix directly. If you type the number 2842 in the "search" function of the forum, you will find where other people got theirs from.

Once you install the kit, you will notice and love the difference. Make sure you also have a 12V, 3 ohm coil installed."

"Thank you!!....and thanks for

"Thank you!!....and thanks for addressing the other post. As you'll note, I don't think cam timing is the issue....but I dealt with that in my response in the other section...so won't address it here. Let me just end this post by saying 'thanks' for the info on the electronic ignition...which I hope I can use IF I ever get the engine running!!...lol. See you in my other post. TSD"

"Quick follow-up: I 'goog

"Quick follow-up: I 'googled' Pertronix 2842 and came across several retailers who sell the item, but I also came across another brand called 'Hot- Spark'. Have you ever heard of them? Seems that the Pertronix item is just a pick-up and rotor mechanism, and this Hot-Spark item appears to be the same...at about half the cost. Just curious if you're familiar with them? If not, maybe you can take a look at their web site and see what you think. Thanks, TSD"

"Thomas, I believe that Hot-Sp

"Thomas, I believe that Hot-Spark is a "clone" that was introduced in the market around the time that Pertronix's patent rights did expire. My only concern is that, because of its shorter time in the market, Hot Spark has probably not been tested to the extent of Pertronix. So you can either buy the cheaper product and try Hot Spark, or go for the proven product. Some forum members have installed Hot Spark and I believe that some problems have been occasionally reported. You can search the forum, as this has been discussed several times."

Back