Logo

Omc 23 wont start wont turn over

boatin_bob

Advanced Contributor
"Not sure how you jumped the b

"Not sure how you jumped the battery but there is a black/purple wire that comes from the starter solenoid to the positive side of the coil to provide power to the coil while starting, once it's started and you let go of the key a different circuit from the alternator supplies power through a resistor wire to keep the coil powered (at a lower voltage). I would begin by cleaning all battery connections at the battery and at the starter/solenoid and then do some voltage checks, do you have a manual with a wiring diagram?

ps....as the 3.0 has a different gear ratio in the drive you will need to try your 15 in pitch prop and see what the RPM's are at top end speed and go from there, it's going to be a compromise.

Actually if your stuck for a diagram go to this thread, I had put a generic one in there about half way down, it should be fine to help with your problem, it's a little fuzzy so best to save it as a an image and you can blow it up some.

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12488/149073.shtml"

"I had a similiar problem. And

"I had a similiar problem. And of course I didn't try the simpleest thing first. Replaced all kinds of things to no avail. Even after putting the volt meter on the battery which read enough "volts". And tried jumping it. Still nothing. Finally decided to just replace the battery, and success!! So after, new plugs, wires coil, cap, points, starter, selenoid. Just turned out to be a bad battery. Which did read proper volts, just must of had to do with the Amps, which I never checked. As far as I know changing the outdrive wouldn't make a difference to the motor, just performance and gearing."

"Bob
I had already printed

"Bob
I had already printed the diagram, thanks.
I just wanted to be clear on the three problems that I am having, making sure they are not realted to each other.
1: starter wont engage, was working fine when I pulled outdrive last summer, covered boat, but water and moisture in engine capartment. (not bad, but wet)
2: when jumping the battery terminal on the solinoid and the starter terminal on solinoid , starter engages but I have no spark at the plugs. Was running fine when pulled outdrive last summer.
3: 3.0 outdrive on a 2.3 motor, deal with that after I get it started.

My question is why would these all of a sudden not work after sitting for the winter? Moisture corroded the connections possibly?

what is the correct way to bypass the solinoid to engage the starter,? (temporarly of course)

With the key on I have 12 volts at the coil, points, and the bat side of the solonid, and one of the small connectionson solinoid
I DO not have any voltage at the starter, and on the starter side of the solinoid, and the other small connection on solinoid

Is that all normal?
I dont mind replacing what I need to , I just dont want to be chasing my tail.
Starter first, then spark, then prop
thanks.
You dont live in Georgia do you?"

ok first unplug the main plug

ok first unplug the main plug look inside.is moisture in there? if there is let it dry out spray a little corrosion pro in there.put back together the plug.if that doesnt work.second run a second wire from the battery positive to the starter positive side.third a little tricky.run another wire to the positive side of the coil from the positive side of the battery.i did that to my boat with a switch on the dashboard the coil wire i had a similair problem with my boat.post a reply if it helped what i posted.make sure you put a switch on the coil wire if you run one and not leave it on when the boat is not running or you can melt the points together. switch on the coil wire when you are starting the boat and you can leave on the switch when the boat is running but when the boat is not running make sure this switch is off.i marked this switch on the dashboard ign switch in red so i dont forget to turn it off when i turn the key off everytime!

"Kevin...when you say "wit

"Kevin...when you say "with the key on I have 12v at the coil" is the key in ON position or are you holding it in the RUN position? You should see 12v in the run position but in the on position it should drop down to 9 or 10. Lets just focus on the starter solenoid first as I believe that's also causing your missing spark problem as well. It sounds like the solenoid is not working. If the solenoid is not even clicking when you turn the key to RUN then either it's not getting 12v or it's actually seized up or broken inside. The yellow wire with red stripe is the wire from the igniton to energize the solenoid, do you get 12v there with the key turned to RUN?"

"replaced ssolenoid, started r

"replaced ssolenoid, started right up.
Next problem, boat goes slow, have 15 pitch prop.
i screwed up by geting 3.0 outdrive instead of 2.3, will different prop fix problem, or sshould I get the right outdrive.

I have a slight "clunk" eeveryonce in awhile, shifter cable adjustment? or worse?

Starter stayed engaged until I disconnected battery< bad solenoid (brand new) or starter.

motor trying to run hot, didnt have that problem before, is this anyway related to different outdrive (3.0) on a 2.3 motor? Or should i replace impeller?

thanks
kev"

"What are your WOT RPM's l

"What are your WOT RPM's like, a prop change may not be able to overcome the difference in gear ratio but it sounds like you need a smaller pitch. (might need proper drive)

Slight clunk could be the lower shift cable or the clutch dog itself is worn and is slipping occaisionally, it will only get worse so need to fix it now. (might need proper drive)

Starter problem could be a sticky solenoid, I would remove the big cable from the solenoid to the starter (so the starter won't engage) and then put a meter on that terminal of the solenoid and turn the key to start and then to run, the meter should show if the solenoid is sticking, you should also be able to hear it pick and drop with the key.

If running hot is a new problem and only the drive has changed then the first place to start would be to rebuild the raw water pump. But I would worry about the gear ratio problem first especially if you need to change the drive again.

Some of your problems could be attributed to the drive you just put on, not sure if I would want to spend any money fixing it when you may never get the performance form that gear ratio."

"Bob
OK got another outdrive,

"Bob
OK got another outdrive, 2.3 this time, replaced solenoid, starter still stays engaged, solenoid clicks when key is turned to start position. Bad starter?

Also bought new shift cable, going to change that out today.
Thanks"

"Ok new starter, started up fi

"Ok new starter, started up fine first three times I started it. An hour or so later I went to start it and starter stayed engaged. I put on a new solenoid marine OMC ect, tightened to tight and broke housing, went to auto zone and bought a solenoid that looked very close.
Never got a chance to try marine solenoid, is there anyway that the "auto" solenoid is causing the problems? points vs HEI?
what is my next step?
thanks"

You need to pull the small wir

You need to pull the small wire off the the solenoid when the starter stays engaged to see if it's been held on electrically (could even be a faulty ignition key switch) or is it a mechanical problem.

"small wire, they both look th

"small wire, they both look the same size. color? mechanical? explain. with starter disconnectoted, if I turn key to start, solenoid clicks, turn to off, clicks again, this tells me it is working ok. I would assume that the ignition switch is working also. correct me if im wrong"

"It would probably be the smal

"It would probably be the small yellow with red stripe wire. Trying to see if the solenoid is hanging up electrically (is the yellow/red wire staying enerergized) or is the solenoid it self sticky causing it to stay energized mechanically. What you have done is a good test (starter disconnected, turn key on solenoid clicks, turn key off, solenoid clicks) I'm just wondering if the starter needs to be hooked up (current flowing through solenoid).

If you try to start it and the starter stays engaged, by pulling the yellow/red wire off and no change has to mean sticky solenoid."

hi there i am having the excat

hi there i am having the excat sam problems all of a sudden and im lost

out on the lake yesterday and all of a sudden boat dies look under cover at motor and every single distributor plug was undone (freak of nature) Bob or anyone do you know the plug order i can kinda tell due to wire length but not a hundred percent sure.. also i pretty sure i have it right but now cant get spark and about half way through the day motor stop turning over when i was looking for spark.. and started making clicking noise.. checked fuses replaced my old crapy battery.. now it wont even click hardly...

heres what i have tried..

i took put the motor in forward and actually turn the prop to turn the motor over( with spark plugs out) and heard a little click noise then i could get it to turn the motor over for a second before it started clicking again.

2. tried using one of the trim solenoids for the starter to see if the starting solenoid was bad but still did the same thing and i know the trim solenoids work.
3. tried using another ign coil to see if that was the problem but that didnt help

i am completely lost and dont know whats wrong... im starting to think its two things... one something i still dont know and then 2 i broke the starter when tring to find spark

your thoughts

"Jerod...what are you working

"Jerod...what are you working on? what size engine, what year, what drive????

All the spark plug wires fell off the the dist cap????

Take your spark plugs out and see if you can crank it over, maybe you ingested some water and it's hydro locked? I think you need to slow down and sit back and rethink this, you seem to be going from bad to worse. Should be able to diagnose and resolve each of your problems.

ps...you may want to start a new thread of your own instead of hijacking Kevin's
happy.gif
"

Back