Logo

Hiawatha 5 hp motor any info

fishin_freak

"I got a free Hiawatha 5 hp ou

"I got a free Hiawatha 5 hp out board, can't find any info on this thing. the #s I have found on it are 64305a, and 6168c68, do any of you think its worth trying to get running or should I try to find one running. Thanks Troy"

There's a 5hp hiawatha on

There's a 5hp hiawatha on ebay for 75.00 + shipping. give it a look. Ebay search for "5hp outboard Hiawatha" it'll be there. Make one out of two.

"That one is way older looking

"That one is way older looking then mine, was hopeing to find out what year it is and if theyer any good, if its worth trying to get it running, its all there and in really good shape, the guy said he used it 3 years ago but hasn't started it since, has good compresion and all, but sure something is gonna be wrong, to easy, something for nothing."

"I cant make any sense out of

"I cant make any sense out of these numbers, try discount-marine-parts.com/ob_hiawatha_2.html"

"Troy, what you have there is

"Troy, what you have there is a 1970 Eska built, Hiawatha. Single cylinder, 5 horse, air-cooled motor.

Eska is out of business, but the powerhead itself was built by Tecumseh. Your number 64035a is the Tecumseh model number for the powerhead itself making your Hiawatha model an 1189B.

Your hiawatha is not part of the earlier brand name that was sold by Gamble-Skogmo Auto and Department stores which were built by either Gale (omc) or Scott-Atwater.

Instead it's a name that was resurected by Eska themself and sold in two model years only (1969 and 1970).

Having said all that, I will try to address your original question - is it worth anything?

If you can use it and it would take little to get it running it is worth the cost of a carb kit and new plug and the time it takes to do the work, otherwise, running it's worth 50 to 100 bucks (on a really good day), if it needs any work to get it going don't count on more than about 20 bucks for it...."

"Thanks for all the help guys!

"Thanks for all the help guys!Now I got more questions, when you say air cooled does that mean this don't have an inpeller? And if it does how do I check to make sure its working? And if not will I really have to watch it so it don't get to hot?"

"Thats correct, no impeller, n

"Thats correct, no impeller, no water pump. The only thing you want to do is mix the gas with a good 2 cycle oil meant for... lets say chainsaws for example, this type of oil is designed for an air cooled motor. Outboard oil is meant for a water cooled motor. Being a 69' or a 70' you may be able to run that mix at 40:1, but check it out for sure, I'm not sure of the bearings on that motor. As far as it over heating, I would'nt worry about too much, use good oil and there should'nt be a problem.

To be honest, its exacly what I've been looking for in a "less hassle" trolling motor. In my opinion, it's a good find, if it idles well."

I have a 5hp hiawatha that I f

I have a 5hp hiawatha that I fixed up and it runs great. So I think you should fix it up.

"paul, my charts say 16:1 and

"paul, my charts say 16:1 and a j8j plug and im checking to see if it has an impellor. alot of eskas have an impellor to cool the lower leg from exhaust heating and just have a water tube that sprays water to the bottom of the power head and it comes out the exhaust and 2 holes in the leg"

"hey guys thought I posted tha

"hey guys thought I posted that I got it up and running, and yes it does have a impeller, thank you all for your help and support. troy"

"hello agine, haven't been

"hello agine, haven't been here in awhile, but have another question on my lil motor, hope you all can help me out agine. motor been running pretty good but its starting real hard now and will run good 1 time next time sputters and farts and stalls, m thinking points but can't seem to find any. any one know where I mite find some? or am I wrong on the problem? had a old dodge road runner do the same thing when the points went bad."

Hello all. Just got a Hiawatha 5hp. Serial number L00548, model 1189, other numbers on the engine 58801-68 and 643-05. Started up then carb started leaking bad. Trying to find a carb kit. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Calll these guys, they have the parts. Your motor is essentially an Eska.

Back