Logo

Engine Shaft Alignment

knuckle47

Advanced Contributor
"Almost to the point of comple

"Almost to the point of completing this 4 month engine project. I had to replace the stuffing box tube as my shafts were rubbing against the old stainless tubes and worn a hole in one of them. Therefore, to eliminate this messy backbraking job, I am changing BOTH to bronze (twice as thick) and replacing the not ready to be changed cutlass bearings.

Since my V-drives are directly mounted to the block, I need to raise the level of the shaft in the tube about 3/8" to center the shaft. DOES anyone know if LOWERING the front motor mounts are the same as raising the rear? OR am I thinking incorrectly (again) !"

"Al, to center the shaft you m

"Al, to center the shaft you must raise the entire motor. Lowering the front will look good but you are changing the engine/shaft alignment, which is not good. Raise the whole engine the required distance, then do the final alignment.

Rick"

"Hi Rick,

AND once again !

"Hi Rick,

AND once again ! Thanks

She should be ready to test everything out this weekend IF the weather holds out. I hate the exhaust system we have. They are 4 of those fiberglass cans about 12 inches long. They are loud enough that I seriously feel guilty leaving early on weekends. DEEP and VERY THROATY you would be hard pressed to talk to someone at 8 knots let alone 26.

I am STILL looking for a way to use the system you told me about but the 4" hose I have now is even HARDER to bend. I have both tubes passing along each side the genny on the way to the outlets in the transom. The option we discussed would work but I will need to find hard fiberglass 45's and 90 degree ells to route the hose without bending it. There should be NO reason both muffler outlets could not be vented towards the same side of the boat, true? Other than patching the old 3" holes...."

Back