Logo

Montgomery ward seaKing

hillbilly

ok i just picked up a Montgome

ok i just picked up a Montgomery Ward Sea king that hadnt been ran in quit some time.
me a couple buddys workd on it for a couple hours and we could get to to start but not run. it was only runnin on one cylinder so i went up and got some new spark plugs for it the ones that were in it were j-4j we could get the bottom to spark but not the top one. even knowing that we had a good spark plug. but one of them said that sometimes one gets it startd and the other one keeps it running. That i dont know im not very good with motors. Any who i got new ones and they gave me j4c they said it was close and over the years they must have changed it.
i was told it was a 5horse but im not sure the guy is old. and we endd up breakin the fuel cap off. so if any one has one that is on a junker that they could part with. id pay to but with a resonable price. but the mod num is 74gg9012 and the SN is 91931 if some one could find out for me it would be nice thanks

Adam

cool thanks i gave them a call

cool thanks i gave them a call and they didnt have any and they told me a 47 johnson or evinrude cap would work and he gave me numbers too 2 guys that i hope might have one.

"Adam, you may want to start o

"Adam, you may want to start out with some basics before going out and finding parts. I noticed that you didnt mention the compression of each cylinder, that would be the first thing to check into in order to see if you have a viable motor. Next you need to track down your spark problem, which means checking out the ignition system, points, condensers, coils, plug wires. After getting compression, and good spark, you have to figure out fuel delivery. Take apart the carb, clean it, every nook and cranny, hole pathway. Use a small diameter wire to scrape deposits from all places were other tools can not reach.

Sounds like alot to do, but it will save you time and money in the long run. A new gas cap would be useless on a motor that wont run."

"No spark in the top cylinder

"No spark in the top cylinder could be caused by a few things. Most likely, the points are coroded and need to be cleaned and adjusted. What you can do is take the flywheel off and look at the points, these points need to be adjusted and cleaned in order to operate. Most likely they will need to be replaced, but you can take a piece of super fine sandpaper to remove corosion from the surfaces of the contacts. Clean them with laquer thinner or alcohol on a piece of paper. A spark tester of some kind should be used to determine how good the spark is. It should jump across a 1/4 inch gap. Your gonna need a puller to pull the fly wheel. While you have things apart look things over, plug wires, coils, general apperence and condition of things under there and take note of things that could need repair. As with anything old, take care not to make things worse, use liquid wrench penitrating oil, and dont forse things, work things loose. Let us know how things go."

Set the points to a .020 gap w

Set the points to a .020 gap with a feeler gage. use the high spot cam to set the points.

Did discount marine parts have

Did discount marine parts have a service manual on your model? I was able to order a copy of the original service manual and owners manual for my 3.5hp motor.

Back