Logo

1988 Force 125 Tilt amp trim

jam_nc

"Hello all. Great site here.

"Hello all. Great site here.

I'm hoping someone here can help me - My Father-in-law has an 88 Force 125 outboard and the motor will go up but not down. I know on the 93 Johnson Fast Strike 150s there are two square fuse blocks (Hella reverse polarity switches I believe?) that are located under the cowling that control this. I had one go out on me on the lake one time and swapped the switches and was able to get back to the dock. Does anyone know if the Force has the same type setup? I'm heading to Cross Junction, Virgina this weekend to have a look at it and I think I may have a better chance of finding the parts / switches here in Raleigh LOL!

Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!

Joel"

"Joel, yes, basically the same

"Joel, yes, basically the same set-up. In the front, under the cowl you should find two square trim/tilt relays (pretty much beside each other).

They are absolutely identical, so swapping one for the other will quickly troubleshoot to see if one is bad.

If that's the problem a new relay is available from any Merc dealer (part number 87-803632T) for about 25 bucks..."

Thanks a bunch Graham! That&#3

Thanks a bunch Graham! That's a big help! Part number and everything! I'm 99% sure that's what it's going to be so I think I'll pick up one of the relays here in Raleigh before I go.

Thanks again!

Joel

That was the problem. I took t

That was the problem. I took the relay to the local Auto Zone and they were able to cross it to a brand they had in stock and ended up getting them for $9.25/ea so I replaced both.

Thanks again!

"Joel, when you get a chance y

"Joel, when you get a chance you should post the brand/part number if you have it. There may be a few guys would appreciate the info the inexpensive parts..."

I should have brought the box

I should have brought the box back with me. I'll get the brand and part number off of the box the next time I'm up there and post it.

One thing that I should mention is that the relays that were in his boat were made by Bosch and that the aftermarket relays that we got at Auto Zone did not have the plastic mounting 'ears' on them so we used electrical tape to keep them from flopping around. No big deal really but worth mentioning.

Was back in Winchester over th

Was back in Winchester over the weekend and got the brand and part number:

GP Sorenson
MR38
V07192

Thanks again!

Back