Logo

270 outdrive oil changing tips

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
"I changed the oil in my 270 l

"I changed the oil in my 270 leg over the weekend. All went well except for getting the oil level just right. I first drained all the old oil, which looked good (I change the oil every year). I then raised the leg and added 2 quarts of 10-30W oil into the oil fill hole midway up the leg. I did not want to overfill the leg so even though the capacity is 2.25 quarts, I thought I would put in 2 quarts there and then would top it off through the dipstick opening on top of the drive. This is where it got difficult -- trying to add oil into that small hole was a real challenge to say the least. I tried to do it using a very small funnel but the funnel would not drain unless I held it above the hole and then hoping the oil would go into the hole. Even though I have a fairly steady hand, that resulted in lots of spillage. After lots of spilling and frustration, I lifted the leg again and added a little more oil through the main filler hole. I then patiently added enough oil through the dipstick opening until I finally saw the level come up onto the dipstick. Topping it off took me the better part of a hour's time.

So, my question to everyone is how do you add precisely enough oil to your 270 leg so that the level is at the preferred low-mid level on the dipstick? And do so without overfilling it and then having to drain some off? There has to be an easier way than what I went through!"

"Bob, here are three ways you

"Bob, here are three ways you can try to avoid the problem you just described: 1) Use a hand pump attached to the drain hole and pump the oil until you reach the exact level; 2) Measure the quantity you drain and add exactly the same quantity through the normal filling hole; 3) Use a small syringe to top it up through the dipstick hole.

And when all fails, read the manual and follow VP's suggestions.
biggrin.gif
"

"Thanks El! As always, great

"Thanks El! As always, great suggestions.

And for the record, I did read the V/P operator's manual and nothing specific is mentioned with regards to topping the level off.
biggrin.gif
"

"Well, then you cannot go wron

"Well, then you cannot go wrong, can you?
wink.gif

Just kidding. Many of us had to find the hard way how to do what Volvo sometimes does NOT tell you in TFM (The Factory Manual)."

"To me, yes. To others it may

"To me, yes. To others it may have different meanings, like: Friendly, Famous, Forgotten, Fantastic, FAQ, Field, Fine, and probably some others that I may be forgetting at this time.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
"

Back