Logo

471 in old fishtug bluish smoke

marian_e

"I am considering the purchase

"I am considering the purchase of an old steel hull fish tug. Engine starts fine, good oil pressure but continues bluish smoke even after running 10-15 minutes. Boat is keel cooled and in dry dock. Am I looking at a probable rebuild and if so is it reasonable to think that I could do the inframe cylinders and rings myself. Love the boat and the sound of the 471 but don't want to buy a 10 ton nightmare. Any advice greatly appreciated."

"you can do an inframe if you

"you can do an inframe if you have the room.
what i would do is pull the inspection covers and check the cyl. and sleaves as someone turns the engine from the front.
when the piston is down look in the inside cyl. walls to see if you still have any crosshatch on the inside. push the rings to chack for spring back. chack to make sure there is no water in the base. when you start the 471 run it without the valve cover, place a rag over the pushfods. to check if all 4 are fireing, on some racks you can hold the rack and push in the arm on each injector and they should cut out. sometimes blue smoke means a valve. you can crack the exhost back a bout an inch, start the 471 and there should be a clicking noise if the valve is not seating."

Back