Logo

TAMD 40A using oil

G

Glen Adolph

"I am going through my 40a&#39

"I am going through my 40a's and they consume motor oil without the usual signs. They run fine, no smoke, etc. The oil pressure is low. After 10 minutes of running, it needs a quart or two. I am in the process of getting the head ground and resealing the oil cooler. There is no oil in the fresh water, but there is a small amount of water in the oil. Any suggestions on what to look for next?"

"Sounds strange for both to do

"Sounds strange for both to do that at the same time. What amount of water do you see and what does it look like. Also check prior to running again, top off or remove if needed, run them then check again if it is low DO NOT ADD OIL let them sit a few hours then check. Make sure it is not just up in the engine , give the oil time to return to the oil pans."

Sorry about the error. The por

Sorry about the error. The port engine is giving me trouble. The manual say to torque the head bolts to 130 Nm/100ft.lbs. This seems kind of low. Can anyone confirm this. Also should I use copper coat on the gasket?

"DO NOT USE copper coat. Your

"DO NOT USE copper coat. Your engine parts (head/valve covers) are made of aluminum and when in contact with the copper will react with each other (electrolysis/galvanic action). The aluminum parts will act like a sacrificial zinc and deteriorate. If you didn't have a problem removing the bolts don't bother. But, if you decide to use an anti-seize compound use either high temp stainless or mariner grade compound by NEVER SEEZ. The high temp stainless is preferred."

Back