Logo

20 horsepower mercury outboard

dshffer

i am in need of finding out if

i am in need of finding out if it is possible to convert a tiller to remote on 20 hp mercury. If so what all will i need. Have controls on boat already for 50 horse force that blew up. Any insite is greatly appreciated.

"Dan, to turn your 20 into ele

"Dan, to turn your 20 into electric start, you can first check the flywheel. If it has gear teeth around the outside then the allowance to convert is there. If not, in addition to other items you will need a "ring gear" from Merc (about 40 bucks).

Additionally, you will need a starter (ones in the aftermarket are cheaper - around 100 bucks) additionally, you will need a starter solenoid, some cables (to connect to the battery) and a battery.

You will also require a "remote attaching kit" to change from tiller to allow connection of the control cables.

Depending on your model/year it may or may not already have a charging stator with the leads simply going to a isolator block. If so, the addition of a rectifier will allow you to recharge the battery through the motor itself. If not you have decide if you would like that feature (adds upwards of 200 bucks to the conversion).

If your old Force controls are a US Marine shifter, it can be adapted for use on the Merc. The shifter will be set-up currently to retract the cables (make them shorter) to operate the shift/throttle on the Force - Merc's work opposite, but the shifter has a large cam that can be reversed to accomplish this (assuming a US Marine control). Additionally, those controls have clearly marked "connection points" for Force/Merc and OMC motors. It does however require some disassembly/reassembly to accomplish this.

Also, if you want to use your existing cables, you will need to change the ends (at the motor end) - they connect up different. If you have generic (3300 or 33C morse cables) the adapter ends for Merc are available from most marine parts places for about 15 bucks...

If you post your serial/model number, I can post the Merc part numbers for you which can then be cross referenced to aftermarket parts, although some items will have to come from Merc...."

Thank You for the quick reply.

Thank You for the quick reply. I will post serial model numbers as soon as i get everything out of storage later this week.

ok i have the serial number no

ok i have the serial number not sure if you can tell me anything about it from it. here it is 3541350. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

"Dan, your motor is older than

"Dan, your motor is older than what I was thinking. Your serial tells me it's a 1973, model 200 which is good and bad.

First the good. The flywheel should have teeth - that's the way the commonly came, even with the rope start versions.

Bad news, the starter is long discontinued by Merc - unaware if an aftermarket cross-ref piece is available - the original merc part number for the starter was 50-97949A1.

Other than that, if you can find a starter, then only would need a solenoid, and the modern Merc solenoids would work - will see if I can dig out a aftermarket number for you - they sell for a little over 20 bucks.

Anything else could be difficult to come by - most parts for this model have been long discontinued."

Ok. Would I be able to use the

Ok. Would I be able to use the U.S. Marine cables/control off the other motor? also can i use it without the starter and just pull it? motor runs great (was off my dads boat) i just cant use the tiller on it with the setup i have. I was mainly concered with the steering and throttle/gear shift. Thanks for all the info. If i can find a starter ill go that way.

A good dealer will find you th

A good dealer will find you the kit to hook up remote controls--- steering should be an easy one---- The other thing to check for is shaft lenth-----the 50 was likely a long shaft.

"Ok I am having a hard time fi

"Ok I am having a hard time finding the control connection kits any where near pittsburgh. Ive tried internet too but no luck yet. Anyone know where i could get them?
the cable numbers are :c32377-3-1561 and are morse cables, US Marine box. Thanks"

"Dan, as stated above, you wil

"Dan, as stated above, you will need a "remote attaching kit". That will provide the (anchor points) for the cables at the motor end and the "hook-up points" on the throttle and shifter.

It's a collection of parts to complete the install - you can't simply hook the cables to the engine as it exists now...."

Back