Logo

1975 Evinrude no spark

thellcon

"1975 Evinrude 85hp ran good l

"1975 Evinrude 85hp ran good last season, this year with the spark plugs in I see no spark with the plugs out I get a strong 1/2" blue flame from all 4 coils. The battery is new and fully charged the engine is spinning well over the required 300 rpm minimum. I removed the flywheel and see no leakage of the stator or corrosion on the flywheel surface. All ignition components on this motor are the originals from 1975 (except spark plugs). I did a low ohms test across the sensor leads at the powerpack and 2 to 4 reads 7.8 and 9 to 12 reads 7.6. (I do not have a neon tester) Where to from here? Timer base? power pack?"

"I want to understand what you

"I want to understand what you are saying? How do you know you have no spark with the plugs in? What are you doing to say that? Where do you get 1/2 inch flame with plugs out? Are you using a spark tester? If you get good flame, things are working good! Could your plugs be fouled? The plugs need to be grounded to fire properly, If they foul, they lose that ground... and won't fire. Did you try any other plugs?"

Back