Logo

280 outdrive tilt question

smoothone12

"I just bought this boat last

"I just bought this boat last august and only had it out twice before the snow flew. Its a 38 foot houseboat with a AQ 125 A and a 280 outdrive. The tilt for the outdrive operates very slowly both ways, takes about a minute or more to complete full motion. I was reading the repair manual and thought it might be the clutch was too tight or maybe the electric motor was tired. Any Ideas?? Also noticed when my brother was at the helm that the outdrive came up when unit was reversing, but I think the only happened once because the outdrive was not fully lowered.
Another quick question: is the AQ 125A an interference engine.??

Any help would be appreciated."

"The AQ125 is a non-interferen

"The AQ125 is a non-interference engine.

The outdrive must always be fully lowered, as the tilt mechanism is not fit to work as "trim". If yo have been using it as "trim", the gears may be ruined by now.

Regarding the mechanism going slow, you may want to start checking that the wiring is tight and clean and the wires/connectors are in good condition."

"Thanks, I just got the boat a

"Thanks, I just got the boat and only went out in it one time, I never actually used it as a trim considering its a 38 ft houseboat (might have some trouble planing out lol.) Hopefully the gears are ok."

Back