Logo

Warning Buzzer

"Hello All,
I have an 86 VR

"Hello All,
I have an 86 VRO 70hp..the problem arises when I'm in shallow water and forced to trim the motor up. Running at low RPM for several minutes I will suddenly hear a warning buzzer coming out of the controls. This does not happen when the motor is trimmed down. Also the buzzing speed changes with the RPM of the engine, the higher the rpm the faster the buzzing. If I shut off the engine and re-start it stops buzzing for a while, but will come back if run for another several minutes with the trim up. Anyone care to guess what is causing this and possibly have a solution. Thanks in advance for any help with this."

when did you last install a ne

when did you last install a new impeller? The horn is telling you something is not right here.

"What are you talking about im

"What are you talking about impeller? Where is there an impeller? It's an outboard....and obviously there is something wrong, or I wouldn't be on here asking about it...hahahahaha"

Take it to a shop and have the

Take it to a shop and have them replace the waterpump impeller.Have them check if the cooling system has been " upgraded " as per factory service bulletin. As it is you risk destroying your fine motor.

What will replacing the water

What will replacing the water pump impeller do? And is there any way to tell if the water pump impeller is bad? I have a very steady water stream being expelled from the engine while it's running.

"i would replace the water pum

"i would replace the water pump----and u may be trimming up too high..getting your wtr intakes out,or slightly,out of the water....this cant happen.and your horn speeding up,is in correspondence,w/the eng output voltage picking up,as u increase rpm....i would ck the batt ,w/a load tester too."

"Matt.... If you intend to kee

"Matt.... If you intend to keep that engine for awhile, I'd strongly suggest that you obtain a service manual in order to avoid expensive oversights.

There is a water pump located directly on top of the lower unit that contains a impeller. I can only assume that you are tilting the engine to an extreme which is allowing the water pump to draw air.

The buzzing (constant beeping) of the warning horn has been telling you that the engine is overheating."

"So if that is the case and I&

"So if that is the case and I'm just trimming the engine too much what is replacing the water pump or impeller going to do? Thanks for all the input so far
thumbs_up.gif
"

"Matt, the water pump circulat

"Matt, the water pump circulates water throughout the engine to cool it, just like the water pump in your car or truck does. The water enters the lower unit through some horizontal slits in the lower unit and inside of that unit there is a rubber impeller that looks like a star. It spins, pumping water up the lower unit and through the power head. If you tilt the motor up, the lower unit is shallower in the water and it cannot draw water like it is supposed to. Furthermore, the water lubricates the impeller and if you suck air instead of water, the impeller melts. Then your power head overheats and it will be BIG dollars."

Can I just call a dealer with

Can I just call a dealer with the serial number and ask if there are any service bulletins out on my engine? What is this "upgrade" covered in the service bulletin going to replace?

Ever get the feeling that you&

Ever get the feeling that you've got a chain hanging....... and somebody is yanking on it?

Back