Fuel Quantity

richie

Regular Contributor
"-35 Motor Yacht
- 2 crusader

"-35 Motor Yacht
- 2 crusader 8.1L gas engines
- 2 seperate fuel tanks

When I turn the keys to the "on" position while sitting in the slip on a calm day, the fuel needles fluctuate as much as 1/4 of a tank. Once I start the motors "

"Not very. They are a referen

"Not very. They are a reference but I wouldn't live or die by them. Depending on how much fuel is in the boat, even the movement of someone walking will cause the fuel to slosh around in the tank causing the float to fluctuates. Your tanks are almost 5' long and carry 142 gallons of fuel, that's a lot of room for sloshing.

Keep in mind also, which tank your genset is running off of. You have a selector valve to switch tanks for the genset. This is useful as it keeps the tanks even and helps keep the boat level.

If your boat is new enough to have the Murphy gages in it, they have a fuel usage mode which tracks usage. That will give you an accurate indication as to fuel used by the engines. They should be very close to the same.

Rick"

"Thanks Rick for the info. Hav

"Thanks Rick for the info. Have another question related to fuel,especially since you're familiar with Silverton. Every time I take on fuel, my "sniffer" alarm in the engine room goes off. I turn the blower on and after a couple mins. it goes out. I can't smell any fuel in the engine room at all. Have you experienced this at all?

richie"

"Yes, the sniffer on your boat

"Yes, the sniffer on your boat works a lot better than the one on your face. The fuel tank vent is located near the induction vent which allow air into the engineroom to feed the engines. The fuel vapor from the vents is entering through the induction vents and setting off your alarm. Some people experience the same thing if they take on fuel with the salon windows open. The fuel vapors enter the salon.

Nothing to worry about. It will vent naturally once you start moving.

Rick"

Back