Logo

Oil Cooler

mybago

I have a VP 740A with a 290DP

I have a VP 740A with a 290DP leg. First is the oil cooler serviceable? If it is not what is the standard life of it when running in salt water. The boat has been in salt water now for 5 years. If it needs to be replaced is there any shortcuts or tricks to remove and replace it? Thanks in advance for the help.

"The oil cooler is not suppose

"The oil cooler is not supposed to be serviceable:

http://www.volvopentastore.com/LUBRICATING_SYSTEM_740B/dm/cart_id.657400424--cat egory_id.332096--list_time.1207190495--session_id.259125030--store_id.366--view_ id.314252

However, a radiator shop should be able to pressure test it and remove the covers to plug a leaky tube if needed.

When do they fail is anyone's guess (any time between one millisecond and 50 years from installation is my educated guess
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
)

I have a 350 Chevy (ex- AQ311) that originally came with an oil cooler. Interestingly enough, I found that Mercruiser ran the same engine without an oil cooler but used a higher viscosity oil. So I removed the cooler (also replaced the filter base) and I am currently running 20W-50 oil (actually Mercruiser recommends 25W-40). So far, so good, BUT I suggest you do quite a bit of research first if you think you want to go that way."

"Just in Time - Thanks for you

"Just in Time - Thanks for your quick response. The oil cooler looks old and nasty - just need to know if it is the reason why I see steam comming out of my exhaust when I'm on plane (white smoke that dissapates quickly)I think it is clogged and not allowing a good enough volume of cooling water to pass through. My engine is a RWC 1990 740A I've replaced everything else (hose clamshell on out drive, impeller etc.) When she is idling there is a good steady flow of water that I can see - I have thru hull exhaust. I was curious if the oil cooler could be an issue because under load not enough raw water is allowed to pass through the cooler and the cooling system and by the time the stream gets to the risers it vaporizes - hence steam from exhaust. Can I remove it and then rod it out or should I just get a new one and install it. I've been running in salt water for 6 years now - would that clog it up like the salt water does to the risers and manifolds? Your thoughts??"

"El Pescador - Thanks for the

"El Pescador - Thanks for the response. I shot a few questions and points back to "Just-in-time" and if you have any responses back please let me know. After replacing the risers, manifolds, clamshell connection, impeller etc. I'm down to the oil cooler and power steering cooler that could be my steaming issue- my thought is either one or both are preventing (under load) as much raw water as needed to fully cool my engine - it is not overheating just steaming. When the boat was new to me 6 years ago there was never steam comming out from the tru hole exhaust."

i would recommend putting a th

i would recommend putting a through hull
the old out drives are impossible to put a new fitting on the out drive

just buy a new cooler to be safe

"IMO, going through-hull would

"IMO, going through-hull would be an attempt to deal with the symptoms, not with the problem. You may want to remove the coolers and have them rodded/boiled/pressure tested by a radiator shop, then take it from there (maybe they are just choked???)."

Back