Logo

318 360 Thermostats

"I went to change the thermost

"I went to change the thermostats on my 318's, and bought the correct 160's from Sierra, which look like standard automotive-style units. When I removed the thermostat housings, I was confronted with a "Vernatherm Valve #VD-1114628" manufactured by the Controls Division of American Standard. Unlike the standard thermostat, which entirely closes the system, these units have a vertical sleeve valve that fits into a machined brass cylinder in the thermostat housing. At the 'cool' position, flow to the main cooling system is cut off, with the coolant directed entirely to a bypass back to the pump. In the 'hot' position, the sleeve valve rises to direct the bulk of the flow to the cooling system, while still allowing some flow back to the bypass.

Because of the constant flow to the bypass, I am reluctant to replace these with the standard thermostats, however, one of these units is not working (fortunately it's stuck in the 'hot' poition, so I can continue to use the motor), so I need to replace at least that one. Where can I get replacements for these?"

"You can use the standard auto

"You can use the standard automotive thermostat ( as I do) by drilling 3 x 6.5mm holes in the flange plate of the stat, making sure you do not drill too close to the centre or outside edge. This will give you the flow you desire,and will take slightly longer to reach operating temperature. Hope this helps."

"Good advice. On Pontiac Fie

"Good advice. On Pontiac Fieros--with the motor at one end and the radiator WAY at the other end--this trick is one of the ways to get the system air free. Otherwise, it's hell to get the air out.

Jeff"

Or failing that you could go t

Or failing that you could go to Hurrikain.com ( yes that is the correct spelling) & order the right ones..49.95 plus shipping & taxes

Back