Logo

2001 200HP Mercury Optimax Outboard compression questionHELP

cmone42

I just had the compression che

I just had the compression checked on my 2001 twin 200HP Mercury Optimax motors. Here are the results:

Starboard Motor:
105 100
100 105
95 100

Port Motor:
100 100
95 100
90 100

The PORT Motor has me a bit concerned with one of the cylinders coming in at 90. I have heard some good things and bad things about the Optimax. Can someone help/give me their opinion.

Thanks in advance!!}

"Are your throttle plates wide

"Are your throttle plates wide open when your checking them? You should be in throttle only and wide open. Also pull your lanyard to your kill switch to be safe!! Your numbers dont look too bad, I have done alot of compression checks on Optis and your #s are not abnormal. I would be concerned if you had a difference of 15% or more between cylinders."

I have a 150 evenrude 150fplee

I have a 150 evenrude 150fpleea & have about 30% difference in compression. Burnt piston? would i be out more fixing the motor myself or just getting another one?

"Jim, a new 150 will set you b

"Jim, a new 150 will set you back between 10 and 15 grand. A decent used one will run anywhere between 3-5K.

If you can do alot of the work yourself a 6 cyl rebuild will cost you around a thousand bucks (bored/honed cylinders @ 50 bucks a hole and 500-700 for a rebuild kit - gaskets/pistons/rings/bearings etc).

If you can't do the work yourself there is a few very reputable places that can do it for 2-3k for you (all in).

Personally, unless I was going to buy new, I would definately rebuild a motor that I had owned, knowing it's history and how it was cared for, over another "used" outboard that "some guy" is saying is in "showroom condition", but yet, is trying to get rid of it...."

Back