Logo

800 lower repaired

oil_slick

"PO had this on reciept, "

"PO had this on reciept, " Popping out of foward gear. Foward gear and clutch dog badly worn." Forward gear set = $484.54 and $357.34 for the new shift cable he destroyed during repair of gear set.
#1 was the shift cable destruction avoidable.
#2 Any ideas what leads to this condition so I can avoid it the next time."

Most 'destruction' of

Most 'destruction' of shift cables happens when people pulls them out through the transom. Be sure there is no corrosion in the bushing and that You use Sealing Compound or similar when installing. Then put into Your annual service to partly pull out the cable and 'reseal'it. I always took the drives off during storage/service to avoid that kind of problems.

Thx again Morten I was more or

Thx again Morten I was more or less meaning the worn gears as to how that happens. Good answer though. My thinking was if he tore it up taking things apart then I be damned if he's going to charge me for a new one. Yea know.

"There are several reasons for

"There are several reasons for gear/clutch dog damages.
Sticking shift cable(s) and shifting mechanism.
Faulty adjusted shift cables.
Wrong shifting procedure. Don't try to shift 'careful', but determined with one 'clunk' only. Keep rpm as low as possible when shifting."

"Seems to shift fairly smooth.

"Seems to shift fairly smooth. My main concern is nuetral does not seem to be fully nuetral, as in thr prop still spins in nuetral. From fwd to rvs works pretty well."

The prop might 'spin'

The prop might 'spin' as the pinion gear runs and works like an oil-pump pulling the gears along. One rough test is to check that the shift handle movement from neutral to forward and neutral to reverse is the same.

Back