Logo

1996 Johnson ocean runner 200

wrrogers

Contributing Member
I recently had the maintance w

I recently had the maintance work performed on this motor and have a question. What is the best way to flush the lower unit and remove all signs of water. The Outboard mechanic replaced the seals in the lower unit due to water he stated that the lower unit lube was Milky and no internal corrosion was noticed. I checked the lower unit before placeing in the water and had a milky coloration and flushed the lower unit with oil again (7quarts of 10-30 and 2 quarts of lower unit lube) afterwards replaced the lube with high performance lube. Checked the fluid this weekend again and milky coloration is still present. I had ran the motor on the hose and had milk. Is it possible that the flushing operation may have to be performed several times?

Let it sit for a day or so! I

Let it sit for a day or so! I believe you might be confused by tiny air bubbles from running.

"William, You do not need to f

"William, You do not need to flush them with anything to get the water out. The water sinks to the bottom of the gear case or mixes with the oil. I just drips out. If you still have milky gear oil, your mechanic did not fix your seals."

"if it's getting wet on th

"if it's getting wet on the flusher, I would go directly to the seals below the warer pump. but pressure test anyway."

"on a gearcase,that has had a

"on a gearcase,that has had a bad water leak,enuf to cause real milky oil,...draining it,then resealing,wont remove all....of the milky oil...far from it...we put gearcsae in parts washer,flushing washer fluid thru it.then,let it drain a day or 2,fluid runs out,and/or evaporates from parts,leaving very little residue.THEN,reseal,re-fill.Otherwise,there is a BUNCH,of milky oil all over parts and in and on bearings etc..."

Would it be a good idea to let

Would it be a good idea to let the gearcase drain for a few days with some sort of cover to keep the bugs out and then refill with lube? Or do I need to pull the lower unit and dis assemble? Thanks for the help

"well,..u dont want bugs in it

"well,..u dont want bugs in it...but,i never have that prob.....i just prop it up and let it drain overnite.--disassembly,and re-assembly,in my opinion,..does not need to be done,just for re-seal....one shop i worked at,had me do it every time...thats not a reseal job,..thats a re-BUILD job...and all parts should be checked and replaced as necc...."

Back