Logo

Omc v6 help

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
149377.jpg
"

"I'd be careful of just wh

"I'd be careful of just what you're letting fall into the open valley... It goes right into the pan, and could jam the pump later.
It also ( by the looks of the piston top) like "the kid" was driving a dead cylinder for awhile. From what I can see (barring a cracked head) like he blew a Head Gasket."

"Looking at the pitting in cyl

"Looking at the pitting in cylinder walls, I think that engine has to go all the way down, and some new exhaust manifold(s) will be in the budget and quite a bit more. I would have looked into replacing that power plant with a 4.3."

"4.3? omc? so it looks prett

"4.3? omc? so it looks pretty bad huh? i was thinking to try and brillo out the top of those cylinder walls cuz down inside looked smooth. what othe rpower plants will match up with the stringer outdrive? and remember guys, im kinda on a budget here ive gotta do all this work my self."

If space inside I would have g

If space inside I would have gone for a 305/2BBL. Will probably be the 'cheapest' solution. However You will not get a correct picture of the situation until engine is out.

"Heck, Mort...I'd just sla

"Heck, Mort...I'd just slap it back together and get some run out of it (or at least run it up and see what you get). I would'nt condem the old powerplant yet. For the price of a Headgasket....... You running this in Salt water?
I'm the same way as you on the budget thing....."

"going back to the begining. I

"going back to the begining. I think that you will find the model#HUFM-19L is really HUFM-19E and the motor is a 1970. It is a 3.8, 155h.p. 225cubic inch."

time to look for a donor boat

time to look for a donor boat with a chevy 350 and a blown up OMC stringer drive in it.... that boat would be kinda gutless with 155Hp anyways

"latest update it looks like a

"latest update it looks like all that is really needed at this point is to have the heads resurfaced, (I will pull the other head tomarrow) and new head gaskets installed,
Dave,>>>>>> that is light oil in the cylinders, the real test will be tomarrow when I put motor oil in each cylinder and see if it "floats"past the rings, however at this juncture i think it will pass the test cuz when i put the light oil in didnt leak down past the rings, so I should have good compression.
I took the suspect head into the shop today (HDS car quest Escondido) and dave the head muckity muck, said deffinatly a head gasket and showed me where the water was leaking past the gasket.
He wants me to bring the boat by his shop on monday so he can get a really close look at the cylinders just to double check that everything is good to go. And he will give me some pointers on how to smooth out any pitting to ensure proper firing and good compression. He said it just may run well as long as i remember its an older motor and to respect her.
He also went on to say that the lifters springs etc. have in fact been replaced and are in really good shape.
So it sounds promissing. I will keep my fingers crossed and keep you guys posted on my progress................"

"and yes DAVE you are correct

"and yes DAVE you are correct it is and "E " NOT "L" 1970 is the year, I read the stamp wrong, and yes i will be using her in salt water"

"KEVIN i think you are on the

"KEVIN i think you are on the right path and it will work out fine.I have the same set up in a 21' penn yan and i do alot of saltwater trolling.
It has plenty of h.p. and tops out at 34mph but awesome on fuel and trolls good too.Someitmes if i troll for a really long time it will foul a plug on the port side.This might be why the kid had been running with a fouled cylinder.I have been running mine in saltwater for about 6 years with no problem,i flush well after each trip.I am considering a fresh water cooling system.the best price i could find is $602 at ocean east marine.com but you my have better luck out there with s&h . Also have you found head and intake gaskets, i think i saw a set on ebay . good luck"

"yes i found head gaskets and

"yes i found head gaskets and intake and exhuast, thru napa they will be here next week however i will need to make my own carb to intake gasket wich really is no problem,
do you have a line on where i can find new risers?? i would preffer to replace them rather than run the ones ive got now."

"I have seen those risers in t

"I have seen those risers in the napa parts book and i would be amazed if they dont have a carb base gasket there. just ask for base gasket for a R-2, 2GC ."

"ok newest update, both heads

"ok newest update, both heads are now off, I will take some pix tomarrow after work.the nuts that hold the rizers are rusted really bad and i know im going to have a hell of a time getting them off, im soaking them in penatrant spraying them every hour or so, I may wait a day or 2 and just keep soaking them
I still need a line on where I can get an aftermarket riser set. Does anyone know of a replacement set that would work with that motor??
I think im going to replace the water pump, I can find it here on this site. and while im at i think i want replace the imelar as well but 1 thing at a time as my budget permits......................."

"what part are u calling riser

"what part are u calling risers? that water pump cannot be found,trust me i have been looking for one for 5 years.I saw one last week on ebay but it too needed to be rebuilt.the impellers are easy to find and napa has them as well.i think the base gasket for the carb is one of these numbers fpg30113,fpg60102,fpg60000 .you will have to match it up."

marineparts.com have the "

marineparts.com have the "exhaust elbows" i beleive you are calling risers and the rubber connectors can be bought at napa.marine parts has both generic and direct replacment but i dont think the generic will work with oem exhaust.

"Who told you the head needed

"Who told you the head needed to be "re-surfaced"? If I was you, I'dve thrown a new head gasket in it, and done some boating. In MY opinion...you're sticking way too much money into a boat you say you may re-power with a new, or newer engine."

"Hi Scott, No One told me that

"Hi Scott, No One told me that the heads need resurfacing, I am only guessing as such, better safe than sorry. So Far I havent dumped any money into the vessel, ......well about 40.00 in cleaning supplies, and 4.00 bucks for a push rod. The rest has been all my Labor and work within my shop at work. The owner of HDS ( local reman shop)reassured me that if the heads didnt need anything more than a good cleaning he would let me know and advise me. SOOOOOO here are some pix of my progress, the heads are in the shop the gaskets are on order and asembly should begin next weekend. there are a few small issues that have come up but nothing that cant be dealt with time and measuring and cutting( hoses) and clamps, nutz and bolts.........but so far 2 thumbs up!!!
149953.jpg
"

"Ok, just got the latest. The

"Ok, just got the latest. The heads are in fact GOOD! they just need to be surfaced and will be ready in a day or 2, the gaskets will be here on Fri. and assy will begin Sat. 1st thing!"

Back