Logo

454 no spark

blasttech1

"i have just purchased two use

"i have just purchased two used marine power 454's. one starts up perfect and one does not. the nonstarting engine turns over great, has power to all the ignition components but has no spark from coil wire to metal. i have taken the coil and soleniod off the good engine and installed it on the nonstarting engine and still nothing. Reinstalled the components from the bad engine onto the good engine and that engine fires up just fine so i know both coils and soleniods are good. I have also switched the coil to distributor wire incase it was bad and still no luck. Am i overlooking something? Cant think of anything else to check right now. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks, JIM"

they are carb engines not EFI.

they are carb engines not EFI. They have HEI ignition system. Even if the cap and rotor are bad wouldnt it still have spark when tested from the coil wire?

"Take out the kidney shaped mo

"Take out the kidney shaped module inside the dist. cap on the base plate. Most auto parts stores will check it out for you for free. When there is a sudden failure of the ignition with a GM HEI system it is almost always the module. Modules are finicky. One might last 10 years and the next one will last 6 months, or anywhere in between."

turns out after a whole day of

turns out after a whole day of swapping parts and frustration it was the pickup coil inside the distributor.
Thanks

Good deal. Thanks for the feed

Good deal. Thanks for the feed back.

Back