Logo

Timing belt

fixitman

Regular Contributor
"I tried to post this before ,

"I tried to post this before ,but it didn't get posted .. Does it matter that the timing belt for a 242 car fits but none of the markings on the belt match the timing marks like Seloc says they should ?"

"The markings on the belt shou

"The markings on the belt should match with the markings on the engine timing gears, unless the belt is not made for a B21 block. Coulc you post some pictures showing how you have installed the belt?"

"I don't happen to have a

"I don't happen to have a way to take pictures . The belt is for a 1979 Volvo 242 . it has two straight lines that I installed inline with the timing marks on the camshaft andvalve cover .then it has two other markings , that Seloc says should line up with the accesaory pulley and the cranckshaft pulley , but don't ?"

"Have you tried to turn around

"Have you tried to turn around the belt 180º? That is, what is now at the right side goes left and left side goes right?"

could it be possible that the

could it be possible that the markings would be different on the car bellt and the boat belt ?

The belt from Sierra Marine is

The belt from Sierra Marine is 32.67 plus about 8.00 shipping. From Autozone it is 15.99

"I normally got mine at local

"I normally got mine at local auto supply stores. I found they were not so expensive and you got them either immediately or the next day.

If you cannot make the belt and the timing gears marks match either way, and you are 100% sure you have the timing gears in the correct position, and you are also 100% sure the timing belt is exactly the same size as the one you removed, then in my opinion you should just install it. If you install it wrong, the engine simply won't start, but you cannot damage valves or pistons, as the engine is non-interference.

Also, if the timing gears are pitted or corroded, replace them, otherwise the timing belt won't last. You probably can get a used set of timing gears at an auto wrecker in your area."

"What's most important is

"What's most important is the total number of belt teeth and size match the other one, also the number of teeth between the timing marks.
If you have any doubts, paint your own marks on the pulleys and old belt, then match the old belt with the new one and paint new marks on it. If it's Volvo it should work.
Good Luck
Franklin G"

"With the belt temoved:

1&

"With the belt temoved:

1) Align timing notch on the camshaft pulley with the mark on the valve cover.

2) Align timing notch of the crankshaft pulley with timing mark of the inner guide plate. Then you have #1 piston at tdc on compression stroke.

3) Align the timing dot on the distributor shaft pulley with the notch on the backing plate.

Install a new timing belt. One of its marks should coincide with the notch on the camshaft pulley, the other one with the dot on the distributor pulley."

EL.found notch on crankshaft p

EL.found notch on crankshaft pulley but did not find the one on inner guide plate I must be looking at wrong plate. can you help.also when I put new belt on all marks if right stay lined up but camshaft. every time I trun it over that one is off.THANKS.

"Here is one mark (in the

"Here is one mark (in the block front cover)

170499.jpg

and here is the mark in the inner guide plate

170500.jpg

When both marks are lined-up, #1 piston is on TDC.

My apologies, I guess I used the wrong terminology in my previous post by quoting Seloc literally (yes, they also make mistakes in their books).
wink.gif
"

EL.thanks for pics set time pe

EL.thanks for pics set time per pics but still will not crank getting fire to number 1 plug but it is yellow not blue tryed fresh gas still willnot crank.what do you think it might be.THANKS.

need help.aq125 put timing bel

need help.aq125 put timing belt on per seloc manual when setting timing marks the rotor is pointing to #3 manual says it should point to #1 do i need to pull distributor and rotate THANKS

"Daniel, it does not matter wh

"Daniel, it does not matter where the rotor points, it is the firing order sequence what counts. You have two choices: either 1) remove the distributor and install it as per Seloc; or 2) leave the distributor the way it is installed now and change the ignition wires order (3 goes to 1; 4 goes to 3; 2 goes to 4; and 1 goes to 2). Remember that the firing order is 1-3-4-2 and the rotor turns clockwise.

Clear as mud?"

moved distributor when truning

moved distributor when truning over it trys to crank but it still will not. any thoughts THANKS DANIEL.

"OK, back to basics:

1&#41

"OK, back to basics:

1) remove the distributor; 2) put cylinder number one in TDC at the end of the compression stroke (make sure the marks on the casing and crankshaft pulley do line-up); 3) Place the distributor above the housing, align the rotor towards number one cylinder terminal in the distributor cap, then back the rotor clockwise 1/8 of a turn; 4) Slide the distributor into the engine, but do not tighten the hold down clamp bolt; 5) Try to start the engine; if it does not start, rotate the distributor a bit clockwise or counterclockwise until you reach a point where the engine will start. You can then adjust the ignition timing with the help of a timing light."

"Daniel, I am sure that many o

"Daniel, I am sure that many of us would appreciate if you do not hijack other threads to post your questions, like you just did with Geoff's thread and you did with this one before. You can always start your own thread at any time, and this way there will be no mixing of issues.

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12487/171105.shtml

Regarding your question, why exactly do you think that you need another distributor?"

Back