Logo

Evenrude xp 200 HELP

C

Chuck Lane

" 89 xp 200 wont idle plugs ex

" 89 xp 200 wont idle plugs extremely wet but somehow hits on all 6. Im comfortable all adj and sincs are correct except for possibly 1, Clymer says on idle adj that when all adj are done motor should idle between 500 &750 rpm in gear and throttle cam should NOT touch roller, Is this correct? The only way i can get it to idle is to adj throttle arm stop screw until it just barely cracks open the butterflies wich in turn puts throttle cam against roller then idles good and plugs are dry.Is clymer correct on this adj? "

"Chuck... Yes, that's the

"Chuck... Yes, that's the proper way it should be adjusted. However I've had a couple whereas I've had to have the roller touching ever so slightly to obtain the proper idle rpm. Anything beyond the ever so slightly thing would indicate that something's wrong as you really don't want the throttle plates to be open at idle. Is there a possibility that the timing base (spark advance) is slightly out of adjustment whereas at the cam might be touching the roller before it should?

I'm assuming that the carbs aren't fouled due to sitting and that none of them are flooding etc.

The compression on all cylinders should be in the 100 pound range and even, and the spark should jump a 7/16" gap on all cyls (with the s/plugs out). Check the stator/charge coil assy under the flywheel to make sure that the large "black" coils aren't cracked and/or melting down (black coils are the beginning of the ignition system). If these areas are as they should be, try the following.

I'd suggest having the cam close to but not touching the roller, then turning the large plastic housing adjustment handle slightly out to advance the idle timing, increasing the rpms to the normal idle setting. Let us know what happens.

Joe
"

thanks Joe could you e mail m

thanks Joe could you e mail me your phone # ?thanks Chuck

" not sure whatyou mean about

" not sure whatyou mean about timing base, comp ok carbs seem to be ok some of the windings under flywheel appear burnt but not large black ones turning black knob idle seems to make no diffrence quick start never has worked owned the boat 3 years use it often idle never been right either new pwr pack im lost thanks for the help chuck "

Back