1962 evinrude not pumping water

john

Contributing Member
I have a 1962 evinrude lark I

I have a 1962 evinrude lark IV 40 H.P. that is
not pumping water. The motor had not been ran
for 2 years when I bought it. I have heard that
the impellers on the water pump will dry rot
and then break and not work. Is this my problem?
How hard is it to fix? Approx. how much will it
cost to fix?

Any info would be appreciated

thanks

" The impeller is rubber. It

" The impeller is rubber. It will not "dryrot". If left for 20 years+ it may take a set, with the impeller arms staying bent loosing their flexibility, but not in two years. NAPA Auto stores or any Johnson/Evinrude dealer has the impellers. It intails taking off the lower unit with four bolts, and the shift rod , then removing the top of the water pump, three screws, and replacing the impeller. Be CAREFUL to keep the little pin that is in the drive shaft that drives the impeller, and that the blades of the impeller are bent the same way as the old one when installing the new impeller. Then put the cover on. A little water pump grease on hte impeller is a good idea. Also on hte splines on the top of the drive shaft where it goes in the crank. Carefully reinstall aligning the splines. re attach the shift rod.

Cost is $45 per hour at most Marinas. Couple hour job.

Art deKalb "

Just acquired a Lark IV - see

Just acquired a Lark IV - seems to run - what gas/petrol oil mix should I give it? How old is it likely to be? Does anyone have photographs? How would I get a replacement propellor if necessary? What grade of spark plugs do I need?
Is it 12v or 6v electric for the starting system?
What grade gear box oil? Does anybody know if there are manuals available?

Back