Logo

Shell rotella 15W40

M

migot07

"From the short time I have be

"From the short time I have been on this board and doing a short search, I realize that many of you only use the Mercruiser 25W-40 engine oil.
1)How many of you use Shell Rotella 15W-40? It seems to me like it would be a good choice as the 15 weight is only gonna get up to the head earlier because of it's lighter viscosity, especially when it's colder. I also noticed that mobil delvac and chevron delo 400 (also good oils) are available in this viscosity. Thanks for any advice."

"About a year ago, I was shown

"About a year ago, I was shown a documet that resembeled a service bullitin. It stated that the oil companys are removing a high pressure additive from their oils. Supposly this is/was done because roller cam engines do not need this additive. It suggests that if you are using a push rod engine, stay with HD type oils. This additive is to keep the cam from wearing flat.
I am not sure of the claim but Im not going to take a chance."

"Mike...

An old buddy of mi

"Mike...

An old buddy of mine is/was a marine tech/snowmobile tech. He always said that he only uses Shell Rotella. He's a very festidious person who checks all the oil levels in all his vehicles every Thursday. Why thurs??? you ask, I don't know, but that's what he does. "That way I always know that they're OK." Whatever. Anyway, He's half psyco over engine oils, and he only uses Shell Rotella. I on the other hand use what the manufacturer recomends in my boat. They say use Mercruiser oil in the boat, thats what I use. That being said, any good quality oil would probably be OK. Just don't buy 7/11 or Quicky Mart brand oil.

Wrench"

All good comments. I used She

All good comments. I used Shell R. until my last oil change; now trying Mobil 1 15W50. I'll let you know what I think of it and if it decreases fuel consumption.

Guy;
I doubt like heck you wi

Guy;
I doubt like heck you will notice any change in fuel consumption; but being a full synthetic you should notice better cold starts. Mobil 1 is good stuff. I use it in my trailer towing truck and am quite happy with it.

Let us know how it works out!

Rod

"Rotella 15w40 in my humble op

"Rotella 15w40 in my humble opinion is great oil. I have used it in fleet trucks for the past 10 years or so. I do not retire a truck till it has at least 400k. I have never had an engine failure due to an oil problem. I run rotella 15w40 in my 2005 4.3l mercruiser. I do ,however live in Tennessee and we have little cold weather."

"Rod:

I'll bet you are

"Rod:

I'll bet you are right about fuel consumption. As far as starting is concerned, the engine has started immediately w/in 5 seconds since I installed a reman. Merc. carb 2 years ago. I just hope it's still going to perform for year 3. It's still March and there is a 5 day weather window here w/no night temps below 40 F. So it's safe to drain the antifreeze and head for the lake TODAY!!!! I found 2 brass drain sleeve and drain plug at Bass Pro Shops to replace the plastic plugs; hope they fit.
sun.gif
"

"Thanks for all your comments.

"Thanks for all your comments. I know feel better knowing some others are using Shell Rotella 15W-40. Like an idiot, I misread the manual, and was running straight 30 in it throughout the years whenever I changed it for my stepdad. The temp viscosity graph in the '94 mercruiser operation and maintenance manual shows SAE 30 only good for a range of 32 degree through 50 degrees. SAE 40 is preferred for over 50 degrees.(You can't find straight 40 wgt., and oils have improved over the years, thats why I guess we are running multiviscosity 40 weights.) 1)I wonder if that graph is wrong- lawnmowers run at what-3600 rpm's in the heat of the summer, no problem!
Thanks again, Michael"

"Merc brand oil is said to hav

"Merc brand oil is said to have agents that cause it not to drain off cylinders, etc. during long layups. This is per Merc people. Anyone know if this it true? JW in Dixie"

"I use Shell Rotella 15w40 as

"I use Shell Rotella 15w40 as well and will as long as I can get it (which may be in doubt in the future). Like incandescent light bulbs, I may have to stock up on it.

Jeff"

Fastjeff:

I think I used to

Fastjeff:

I think I used to have a job once. I bought 250 gal. of bulk motor oil all the time for the fleet service garage. Price was $3.79/gal. for 250 gals. delivered. We had it dumped into 55 gal. drums. Call your local oil vendor.

"Rotella S is one of the worst

"Rotella S is one of the worst oils money can buy - I know of one diesel engine manufacturer that uses it for break in oil as it has such a poor additive package. Rotella T, however is an excellent diesel engine oil - one of the best."

Back