Logo

200 BF not reaching full RPMs rregardless of pitch

"First time poster here!

G

"First time poster here!

Got a 2006 211cc Everglades with a BF200 (as of now 47 hours).

I was not able to reach the WOT RPM range (5000 -6000), attaining only 36 mph @ 4600.

Lowered pitch from a 15X19X3 (the prop that came with the engine, Solas) to a 15X17X3 Solas.

Good results, was able to reach 5250 RPM wih 40 MPH (alone in the boat, half a tank, very calm seas).

Changed prop to a 14.25X17X3 Turbo Progressive with exactly the same results with the same testing conditions(althogh better accelleration and out of the hole shot). The second time I used the boat with this propeller,same testing cnditions, I was able to get 40MPH again, but 5,360 RPMs.

Manufacturer says maximun speed in this boat is 36 to 40m at 5800 RPMs with this engine. Mounting position #4 (from top to bottom, recommended positionby manufacturer), and the recommended prop should be 15X17X3.

So I'm thinking maybe the tach is misreading?

Also, honda-marine tested this engine with the 14.25 prop on a boat that weights 600 pounds more. Couriously enough, this prop size is the one used by the boat manufacturer for their perfomance test. The results - 39.5 @5500 RPMs.

So I figure that with a lighter boat, I should be doing somewhat better?

Also, I'm developing the O2 sensor problem on Idle (check engine light, 1 second horn, no problems when runing). Would a faulty O2 sensor cause lack of revs in WOT?

I look forard from hearing frm all you experts.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give as much info as possible..."

"Update:

Changed the O2 sen

"Update:

Changed the O2 sensor. Now getting 41 mph at 5,360 RPM. Tech says the tach is readng ok.

Should I move to a 14.25 X 15 pitch?"

"Thanks for the reply.

The

"Thanks for the reply.

The trim tabs all up, and the engine power trim in its 4th position (from down to up).

I'll try moving the engine up to the last hole.

What would be the diferences in handing (if any) to be expected with the engine mounted all the way up?"

"Yep, with the switch located

"Yep, with the switch located at the throttle side. When I say "trim in the 4th position" I mean that's what the Tach dial says (it has a motor trim indicator").

Now if moving the motor up one notch will cause sloppiness, I'd rather lower prop pitch. I usualy go out in at least 4 feet chop! But hey, will give it a try, the worst that could happen is that I'll have to lower it back one notch..."

"post a pic of motor mounting

"post a pic of motor mounting holes
also with it trimmed all the way down, where is the cavitation plate?"

"Thanks for all your help!!!

"Thanks for all your help!!!

If I'm able to go down to the marina this weekend, I'll post the photos. I had taken some about one month ago, when I was discussing this issue with a local prop sizing technitian (he had also suggested moving engine position to the last hole), but cannot find them now.

Again, I really apreciate all your feedback.

Will keep u posted...

Right now, ful the motor all the way down, the cav plate rests below the "V" on the transom, and we had calculated that if moved to the last position, the cav plate would still be ok, under water."

"New results:

Changed prop

"New results:

Changed prop to a 15.25 X 15.

Got the engine up to 5,970 and 42 MPH.

I guess problem solved.

Pitch does make a diference, so I take back my "...regardless of pitch" title!

Still thinking why manufacturer says a 15 X 17 prop should do 5,800 and 40 MPH.

Anyways, problem solved at a costly $450..."

"Just-In-Time:

Thanks for y

"Just-In-Time:

Thanks for your help.

I finally was able to take a pic of the mounting position. The cav plate is in line with the V.

Should I go ahead and raise the engine to the last hole?

193837.jpg
Mounting

"Update:

Went one up, and h

"Update:

Went one up, and had a lot of trouble getting on plane. Once on plane, handling was great. However, as I had 7 persons on board (the most I've ever had), I don't think it was a fair trial. Could not get RPM into 5K Range...

Will try again under better conditions..."

Back