Logo

Raw or closed cooling

oil_slick

I have this Marine cooler on m

I have this Marine cooler on my 351W/OMC. I dont like it. Any warnings against pulling it off and running raw sea water for cooling. Thermostat or not? Pros and cons.

"Ayuh,.....
If you're boa

"Ayuh,.....
If you're boating in Saltwater,....
I Wouldn't remove it...."

"Don't remove the thermost

"Don't remove the thermostat, engine won't run at the right temp. Don't take the cooler off if running in saltwater as it will eat everything very quickly."

Yea well thats why we flush wi

Yea well thats why we flush with fresh water when done correct? Is it just that fast? This is a salt water rig.

"Yea guys, I'm not sure th

"Yea guys, I'm not sure the cooler is hooked up as a closed system anyway. They have the sterndrive pump feeding into the backend of the cooler and the whole thing appears to feed into the engine water pump. Its missing the point. The circulation pump is about shot and I might as well pull the whole thing of and route the flow the way it is in the manuals. Not sure where to get the right t-stat housing though.
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/2/1/9/4/webimg/116752025_o.jpg""

"The circulating pump doesn&#3

"The circulating pump doesn't change, it's the same weather is is RWC or FWC. If it is shot it needs to be replaced. What you have is a relic, but if it's not really broke, I wouldn't try and fix it. From what I can see in the pic, it is correct."

"If you go RWC you'll need

"If you go RWC you'll need a lower temp T-stat, the motor will rust faster (salt water?), and you have less time to avert disaster if the water inlet is suddenly closed off. Also, due to higher operating temperature, FWC engines are more efficient (read: better gas mileage).

Jeff"

"Thx Jeff, there's a good

"Thx Jeff, there's a good reason (gas) not to do it. I imagine I can use just about any circulation pump that will bolt on there. I can get into the cooling after the fuel tank repairs this weekend. Thx guys."

Back