Logo

Ball Gear 84 OMC stringer sterndrive

"so I just got home, and I got

"so I just got home, and I got my manual today in the mail. I read the part about the gears and it advises you to remove the entire shaft and inspect it, but I would rather not do that, I just want to install the gears only, and what ever seal that holds the fluid in.. is the seal that I need to hold the fluid in come with my kit?

here is the kit I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OMC-Stringer-Sterndrive-Ball-Gear-Kit-for-1973-19 86_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ124104QQihZ012QQitemZ220245305859QQrdZ1QQsspagenam eZWDVW

Now what are the two seals for that are in my kit? are they the ones that hold in the oil that came out? and do they go right next to the ball gear in front of the bearing?"

"You might be able to slide th

"You might be able to slide the shafts out without removing the drive if you take the moon gear off the tilt and are able to get the drive up at a 90 degree angle. Be careful though, you don't want to put too much stress on the shift cable and damage it. All the seals you need are in the kit, there are two larger ones for the ball gear that comes out of the intermediate housing and two smaller ones for the ball gear that comes out of the upper unit. You can get the old ones out carefully with a screwdriver but I used a seal removing tool from harbor freight. Then you want to put some sealant around the outer cups and tap them in one at a time with a wood dowel or seal installation tool. I just used a real big socket to tap them in. They install back to back. By the way, you will have to pull the shaft out to make the seal change. It's no big deal, just do it. They will slide right out. The o-ring goes around the bearing retaining housing. One for upper housing and one for intermediate housing."

"Bud, I done it today.. Got it

"Bud, I done it today.. Got it all fixed. Now what weight oil goes back in the drives that spilled out. My manual just says omc gear oil.

I had to take the drive off.. couldnt get the upper ballgear back on with it connected. Took it off and leaned it back about 3 inches and then tightened it down slightly then reconnected it to the boat, and finished tightening..

Wow.. Im so proud of myself.. arnt you?
Now what gear oil do I get..
sun.gif

by the way, i replaced the seals too.. and the bearings looked to be in good shape.

The old seals were not stretchy at all and were kind of hard. Does this mean they were wore out?"

"Derick, congrats on your acco

"Derick, congrats on your accomplishment! I changed the gear oil on my 86 OMC stringer 800 last week. Went to the Boater's world and they recomended Quicksilver outdrive gear oil. It cost around $13.99 + tax per quart. Couple days later I found in Walmart has different brand and it said on the label "80w90 marine gear oil, type G5" or something like that for alot cheaper. Quick Googled it and found a few folks using the same grade "80w90" in their outboards as well.

Now, my ball gears are about 50% gone and I think they both need to be replaced. When removing your upper gear, how many bolts did you have to remove and where are they located? how heavy is it, and did you sit the removed upper case on the stand while changing? I bought the boat in March (1st boat), but now just found out about the gear problem. Before you replacing the gears, did you experience some kind of noise or gear grinding when flushing the boat on the trailer? Mine did when I didn't have it fully down, but not sure if the noise was from the chewed up ball gears or something else inside the gear case.

Your help is greatly appreciated."

"Noise come from the gears sla

"Noise come from the gears slapping together when it is not totally down.. my advice is have someone hold the drive for you after you take it off and it will be the easiest way.

First look at my pictures above and you can see the four bolts around the shaft. You have to take those off to get that plate off to change the seals, and then you just pop them out with a dowel and pop the new ones back in the same way. Then to get the new gears back on you have to take the drive off, this is achieved by taking the two rubber bumpers off and there are four bolts back there. YOu have to just let the drive all the way down till it is on the floor, take the moon tilt gear off, and it will rest in the holder on the boat with no bolts in it, then take out the four bolts under the bumbers and the drive will lean back enough to get the gear on. then just bolt it back up and install the lube.

Hope this helps.. if it doesnt let me know.. i WILL TRY TO BE MORE CLEAR!"

"Excellent! This forum is gre

"Excellent! This forum is great!! I just ordered the ball gear set yesterday (same seller that you ordered from Ebay
happy.gif
) hoping to have it soon before end of next week to get the boat ready for the July 4th. Before taking the shafts out, did you have to drain oil from both the intermediate and the drive ?"

"To replace the seals you will

"To replace the seals you will need to drain the intermediate and the upper, unless you want a large mess. If you are going to replace the ball gears only, you don't need to drain it."

"Bud, thanks for the clarifica

"Bud, thanks for the clarification, I've looked around the intermediate case but couldn't figure out which nut/bolt is the lube oil drain plug, it is an 1986 stringer 800. Any idea which one it is? thx again for great tips."

"The bottom plug is the drain

"The bottom plug is the drain plug and where you fill it. You want to pump lube in the bottom plug hole until it comes up to the the threads at the top plug. See pic, arrow points to the plug on intermediate.
215515.jpg
"

there was a ball gear change a

there was a ball gear change around 1968... need to go to the brp parts site or shop.evinrude.com and look up your numbers and see what they might cross reference to.

do you know if it was just a b

do you know if it was just a ball gear change maybe i can purchase the newer set up and convert mine to that . i've priced these parts all day and it looks like the gear and drive shaft on the transom side are one peace costing 580.00 this is more than i paid for the boat and its a 68 man i hate to say it but this one might just sink

"hmmm...notice the seller on t

"hmmm...notice the seller on this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130220367232&ssPageName=S TRK:MESO:IT&ih=003

That item SAT and SAT and SAT on eBay for months if not years and I lowered the price repeatedly...

I have at least one spare of everything on my boat...most of the stuff I paid little or nothing for, but you have enjoy the search...it's sort of like treasure hunting for me...

Your best bet might be to just swap to a newer intermediate housing. I have a couple...1 at least with the ball gear shaft and everything in it...but locally too, you should be able to find one...you see, when someone parts an OMC boat, they pull the drive off and sell it, then the engine comes out and is sold...and then because intermediates rarely fail, there is no market..so they sell quite cheap sometimes. The price of scrap Aluminum might be making them a bit more rare these days however..."

Back