Logo

Removing Throttle Lever Assy from Control Box Johnson 1989 110HP

mr_johnson

Regular Contributor
"Guys.

The trim up switch o

"Guys.

The trim up switch on my throttle lever needs replacing ( I think ) because I am unable to trim up whilst underway with large payload.

The red button(for trim up)on the throttle lever becomes stuck/indented into the throttle assy and I cannot trim motor up - but I can trim up easily at home - with the red button.

I am wanting to replace this switch/button.

To do this, I need to remove the control box from gunnel to access the inside of the throttle assy so I can take apart the throttle assy and hence trim switch. I cannot take apart throttle assy any other way.

I have removed control box from gunnel OK - but now I cannot extract the throttle assy from the control box because the one allen key bolt that connects the two units (control box and throttle assy)together can be undone.

It is an allen key female type bolt. I can fit a 3/16" allen key in but wil not grip the internal walls of this female allen bolt. It appears tapered out a bit a end of travel.

I have every size allen key in metric and imperial. I have tried vice/multigrips/pliers - no luck.

How can I get this sucker out?

Cameron"

"There might be several way.

"There might be several way.
If You have an impact wrench and a bit that fits, this might do it.
You might try to drill off the head.
If You have an electric weld/TIG, 'weld' a bit to the screw.
Try to grind down a bit with perfect fit into the damaged screw.
Good luck."

"OK - I have been able to remo

"OK - I have been able to remove throttle assy from control box.

I have reached the switch behind the red button.

This switch is a black rectangular box shape.

Holding this switch in place inside the throttle assy is only one screw with a molded plastic sheath. Very poor design in my opinion.

This sheath has snapped (from repititous force of puching trim button over 20 years) allowing the switch to sit not as tight as it should and hence allow button to become indented inside the throttle assy when pressed.

Now, my next problem is - do I replace plastic shrowd for throttle assy with new (I imagine very expensive) or try and glue this plastic sheath back and hope it stays in tact..?

Thoughts please??

Cameron"

"replace your damaged parts...

"replace your damaged parts...fix-it,and dont worry about,or have to re-do job!...none of those parts are very expensive...."

Back