Logo

Priming the fuel system

marthablue

Hi:
i have a Cummins 6BT5.9-M

Hi:
i have a Cummins 6BT5.9-M and i added a new larger fuel filter and i started the engine and forgot to fill it first so i ran it out of fuel. how do i go about priming the system?
Thanks.

"i cannot find a step-by-step

"i cannot find a step-by-step proceedure for bleeding the air out of the system anywhere for this engine on the internet!!! i have ordered a service manual but i dont know how long it will take to get to me. anyway, i do know how to bleed diesel systems, but this one has me stumped. the tank is full, my filters are primed, i have bled the lines, bled the injector pump, and bled three lines to three injectors and i cannot even get a pop when it's turned over. the batteries are fully chared and she's winding up fast????????????????????
any help would be aprreciated.
thanks,"

"if it is a mechanical engine,

"if it is a mechanical engine,non ecm it's pretty easy but at times they can be stuburn. You have air in the system. Go back and fill the filter with diesel. Looses all injector nuts about 1.5-2 turns. Crank motor,wait to see fuel comes out of injector lines. When fuel starts to come out it should try to fire shortly. When the engine starts to fire tighten up lines one at a time. It should go.
Jim"

"Thanks Jim:

i ordered a ma

"Thanks Jim:

i ordered a manual for the engine and followed the procedures. i did everything right before i got the manual excepet for one thing, i did not crank it over long enough. i was afraid of burning up the starter or meltinig some wires so i never turned it over more than ten seconds. the manual said not to go more than 30 sec at a time and allow at least 2 in before doing it again. i did it for 30 sec and saw fuel and stopped. i then tightend the injejctor nuts and cranked again and it fired right up! i shut it down cleaned up and put water to the pump and fired it up again and ran for a bit and all is well.

Thank you for your response anyway!"

"Just fill all the fuel filter

"Just fill all the fuel filters up with fuel, and then give it a few shots of engine start (ether). Once it starts open it up.... and then give a few more shots of ether.... it should take hold. if not do it again........"

Those engines have preheaters

Those engines have preheaters and using ether is a good way to blow the top off your engine.

Back