Logo

1971 evinrude 18hp fuel routing HELP PLEASE

N

Nicholas Overacker

"i just inherited the engine,

"i just inherited the engine, and it needed a lil' bit of TLC being a seventy one. i replaced the head, gasket, fluids etc...but, the only fuel line on the motor was the main feed from connector to pump, i notice that it appears that i need 2 more lines, one running off of the pump and one on the engine itself? there are two male nipples on the engine one above the fuel pump and one on front of the block just bewlow behind the carb, they are two diff size fittings. where do i run my lines to? the on from the front of the block, does that go to the vertical fitting on the carb? and the one on the side of the block above the pump, does that go to the pump? PLEASE HELP> FISHING BEGINS SOON"

"also, does this engine run th

"also, does this engine run the J4C champ spark plugs?"

"There is a special hose that

"There is a special hose that has a different inside diameter on each end that goes on those two fittings you describe. Hose part number is 317120.

The fuel pump operates directly off of the engine's crankcase pressure via a hole in the back center portion of the pump.... notice the thick sealing gasket in back of the pump.

The pump has but two hose attachments, incoming fuel from the tank hose connector to the pump, outgoing from the pump to the carburetor.

Find the model number on the sport (left) transom bracket and make not of it. You'll need it to order a servive manual etc.

You can use the original recommended spark plugs which are Champion J4C plugs OR uyou may use the alternative Champion J6C which may give a somewhat improved performance. Set the gap to .030 .

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"ok, i see. so from pump right

"ok, i see. so from pump right to the carb.

and the nipple above the pump runs this weird line youre talking about to the font of the head. got it!

Also, i look in your ebay store and..do you have this line? or will a dealer have it?"

"I Also appreciate your inform

"I Also appreciate your information. i plan on using this as a kicker on my trophy bayliner..just getting her ready for the season.

J6C i will try them and see if there is a difference when i get it running. also, if i were to buy line at the store and just get a fitting to step the line size up or down, would that make a difference?

thanks nick."

"Best to keep the hoses origin

"Best to keep the hoses original or eventually you'll have a engine composed of oddities. I have one left in stock ($12.00). If you're interested, click on my name to the left and email me."

"ok, i actually ordered one fr

"ok, i actually ordered one from 'rude themselves, for about that same price. now as far as this 18hp goes, its an electric start, does that mean she will charge too?"

"nope,..will not charge.....a

"nope,..will not charge.....a GOOD HOT,batt will start it many times tho...the price of the chg system exceeds the mtrs worth....chg when u get back hm...if u need to use a lot of lights,etc,...carry an xtra batt...lv your cranker,..alone....unless.......u like to pull start..."

"well i want to be able to run

"well i want to be able to run my depth finders, lights..etc...on my trophy bayliner..has two batts so just run one at a time.?"

"run those off big eng batt...

"run those off big eng batt....IT will/or should,chg your batt.if u need to use a lot of lights,etc,...carry an xtra batt..."

ok there is a megneto on this

ok there is a megneto on this motor with no with a wire hanging off of it. and not one on the other side. the motor runs without this? what is it for?

"now that i read it, i dont ei

"now that i read it, i dont either, it has some electric thing, with a wire hanging off it, i believe its a magneto, im not sure what it is."

Back