Logo

Mercury 25HP Identification

tomsouth64

"I have searched the forum for

"I have searched the forum for a similar posting, however, I did not find one that covers my problem. Here goes: Last weekend I purchased a 14' aluminum boat with a 25 HP Mercury outboard. I am unable to find a serial number anywhere on the motor. I have looked for a plate or sticker on the pivot mount as well as everywhere else. I talked with a rep at Mercury and was told that the serial number is also located on the starboard side of the motor block just ahead of the upper spark plug. What I found was: 872-9076-C2. There was another number located forward of the first number (A XK 1 14406-C), but it does not look like a serial number. I was told the number should begin with a OS or OB followed by 6 digits. I should mention, the person I purchased the boat and motor from did not have a clue as to the serial number or year. He simply took the boat to the local boat shop for service. I am trying to purchase parts so that I can get the motor ready for the fishing season. Any help would be greatly appreciated."

"Tom, did you look for the &#3

"Tom, did you look for the "wesh plug" (silver disk about the size of a quarter) where the Merc rep mentioned? This is what you are looking for... (the pic is of a little evinrude, but the Merc's are the same - will give you the idea)..

148598.jpg
"

"Graham,
She mentioned the pl

"Graham,
She mentioned the plug, but unless it is under the flywheel, there isn't one. There is a plug located on the port side of the motor block, however, there is no number on it. I'll keep looking. Thanks"

"Tom, relatively speaking, the

"Tom, relatively speaking, the 25 horses haven't been around that long. Does this one have an "XD" sticker on it (as in model 25 XD - usually on the leg, each side, just below the cowel) - that would indicate it is an 85 and earlier model.

86-post models were all the same, parts wise until they stopped building them (with a couple of very minor modifications after the 94 model year)..."

"Graham,
As you can see from

"Graham,
As you can see from the photo, there are no "XD" stickers on the motor. The general use manual that I have indicates that I have the early lower end unit (without the removable access plug for the shifter shaft separation)
148612.jpg
My 25 HP Merc

"Looking at the pic that is an

"Looking at the pic that is an 86-89 model. After that they streamlined the "hood" a little more, but kept all the "guts" the same.."

"Graham,
I appreciate your he

"Graham,
I appreciate your help. It sounds like a lot of the replacement parts (water pump kit, fuel filter, etc.) fit numerous years. At least now I can get started ordering the necessary parts and pieces. Thanks for everything."

"JB,
I removed the screens be

"JB,
I removed the screens because there was a small amount of mud on one of them and I wanted to make sure everything was clean inside. Thanks for your concern."

"Yes Tom, that model run of th

"Yes Tom, that model run of the 25 horse basically stayed the same from 1986 until 2005 when they quietly discontinued most of their 2 stroke production. Also, with the exception of the carb and exhaust plate, they also shared the same parts with the 20 horse (during that same time period - but not earlier) - so yes, used/aftermarket parts are abundant..."

"Graham,
I really appreciate

"Graham,
I really appreciate all your help. Unfortunately, everytime I visit the Mercury website I am asked for a serial number before I can inform them that I still can't find one on my engine. I guess I will be forced to follow the Mercury Tech's advice, take the motor to my local Mercury service center (125 miles one way) and see if they can find it, contact Mercury and have a new sticker sent to me. Thanks again for the info. I know it will prove valuable."

Back