Logo

1973 24b STAMAS 351COMC

oil_slick

"If anyone knows anything abou

"If anyone knows anything about this combo let me know. It took 3 days to find this board. I can get the OMC model# in the morning but so far Im drawing a blank. I know, I just ordered the manual. Thx"

Give some idea of what you wou

Give some idea of what you would like to know. Someone should have some specs on this setup. The model # is a big plus

Wrench

"My main concern is parts avai

"My main concern is parts availibility for the OMC sterndrive. Everything seems to run fine, I just want to make sure. Info is hard to come by it seems. I did an internet search on the model # yesterday and was coming up 0.
OK model# is 982413"

"Alright Morten, I'll thro

"Alright Morten, I'll throw some pics on here tommorow for ya'll, but I got the number right of the tag on the drive. This is why I need help, the numbers are not matching up. Thx"

"Ayuh,......

That's a 3

"Ayuh,......

That's a 351 Ford Windsor,+ an OMC Stringer Drive......
Probably an Electric Shift to boot....

If you haven't bought it Yet,..... DON'T....

Those drives haven't been built in 20 Years,+ Parts are Not Available......"

"from 1964 to 1977 all OMC mad

"from 1964 to 1977 all OMC made was electric shift sterndrives. OMC never put a 351C in a boat, only 351W"

"That's not a '73 outd

"That's not a '73 outdrive. That's an 800. Might be a hydro-mech. shift. Hard to tell if it's a cleavland or not, I can't see the intake to see the runners. I do see a dual line holley w/ an electric pump though..."

Dave's right - that's

Dave's right - that's a 1978-1981 hydromechanical shift outdrive. arguably a worse design than electric shift...

"Cool were getting closer. So

"Cool were getting closer. So it looks like someone swaped something out already if thats a 78. I think it is a mech shift. Just so you guys know this is a project boat and it WILL come back to life. Positive energy guys. Thx, Dave here are some better pics of the motor. Providing this is a nightmare, I'm looking for options. Any help is greatly appreciated.
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/2/1/9/4/webimg/116752305_o.jpg"
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/2/1/9/4/webimg/116752235_o.jpg"
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/2/1/9/4/webimg/116752173_o.jpg"
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/2/1/9/4/webimg/116752102_o.jpg"
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/2/1/9/4/webimg/116752025_o.jpg"
All help is welcome."

"it's hydromechanical shif

"it's hydromechanical shift, 1978-81. Full mechanical shifting began in 1982. Baby that outdrive, a few of the lower unit parts are rare... like the shift cable."

It has a brand new shift cable

It has a brand new shift cable on it. Just so I'm clear when you say shift you mean forward and reverse correct? I really dont know much about boats.

"shifting F and R, correct. 64

"shifting F and R, correct. 64-77 had electric clutches in the lower unit (bad idea), 78-81 had hydraulic assisted mechanical system called hydromechanical (also a bad idea... make sure your lower unit never has water in the gear oil), 82-85 had full mechanical shifting - no hydraulic assist (better idea but 20 years too late)
I wonder where they got a new shift cable. Those things have been out of production for 20 years. Haven't seen one on eBay for 2 years or more"

"Thx Hy Stat,right now everyth

"Thx Hy Stat,right now everything works except the tilt. The shift cable job ran $1500 for parts and labour and a few other things. Not my $$$. Good. I guess I'll run it in the bay about 8 miles or so (after I sign up for Sea Tow) and see if it takes a dump. I would imagine that something else could replace this unit if parts are a problem? Anyone have a thought on replacing this set up with something else."

"It's sad to see the '

"It's sad to see the 'negative' comments.
Yes, there are some things to look out for:
Upper unit needs rather frequent oil change.
The Windsor engine need a LOT of cooling water, keep the impeller in the drive fresh!
If shifting starts getting difficult, take down the lower unit, out with the servo assist for shifting, dismantle and clean (not possible according to manual, but no problem). Clean oil pump screen.
Remember to grease the swivel at the drive. (front behind a plastic plug.

In my opinion a good unit, just needs a bit of care!
Get a manual!!!!!"

"can't polish a turd. I ha

"can't polish a turd. I have an 800 mechanical and it's tolerable, I've worked past the tilt issues etc... been through it once or twice... but the hydromechanicals have a shift assist cylinder that cannot usually be salvaged during disassembly and you have to use a slide hammer to destroy it to get it out. The $600 part is no longer available at any price. Any surviving shift cables are in museums. That's a turd of a drive in my opinion. Sugar coating it doesn't help, but a conversion to full mechanical is do-able with used parts that are slightly more common if the hydro lower unit ever gives up the game."

"Just as I say that, there&#39

"Just as I say that, there's an NOS 981859 shift assist cylinder on eBay right now for $300.... I'd be grabbing it...."

"Thx Hy Stat, I've heard o

"Thx Hy Stat, I've heard of the conversion but if I were going to swap the whole damn thing out what would you recommend the replacement be? I'm not worried about it too much, I'll drop a whole new engine and drive in there if need be. Whats the best combo out there for me? Also I was wrong the shift cable was $350 but he also did a front gear/clutch change and some other stuff."

"Nice, whats that run $15k? I&

"Nice, whats that run $15k? I'd rather use gas though. I have one more question for you'all and then I'll be quite. When running it seems like water is coming out of one exaust port more than the other. Where the other one is barley a trickle. Should they be the same? Whats the deal?"

"15 might be half way there ..

"15 might be half way there ...maybe $15K X 2 with the transom rebuild. But it sure would be sweet in your boat!

You are the first person in the history of power boating to prefer gas over diesel

Water flow takes the path of least resistance- so you might have corrosion build up starting to restrict flow on one side. Time to pull the risers and inspect. #1 killer of engines - failing exhaust manifolds/risers.
I take it you have thru hull exhaust if you can see this water coming out each side...."

"Yea, I would prefer diesel bu

"Yea, I would prefer diesel but look at the price of Diesel now. One side is getting hotter due to low water flow. I think it might be the marine cooler pump. I just ran it for a couple of hours. Trying to burn off fuel so I can pull the 1972 fuel tank. It has a pin hole in it somewhere. Over all the tank looks pretty dang good. Minus the pin hole of course. Maybe I'll put up a pic of the tank later. Thinking about a video of the exuast maybe. Thx again Hy Stat."

Back