Logo

1985 50hp mercury brown strip

mark26

"Motor will not start. This mo

"Motor will not start. This motor was running fine, while out on the water it had been started and stopped normally. Then started and stalled (not enough trotle) after which has not fired again. The motor turns over the same, still has a spark on all 4 cylinders and I have sprayed a areo-start spray though the carbs just to get it to fire but nothing. Has me puzzeled?"

"is it sparking at the leads ?

"is it sparking at the leads ? or at the plugs? you could have fouled plugs. Also check the switchbox find the yellow and black spark stop wire if it has it, and undo it from the box then try to start the engine. if it starts you have a switchbox problem. Ps: to stop the engine re-connect the ylw/blk wire to the switchbox."

Thanks Brent for your reply. A

Thanks Brent for your reply. All spark plugs are firing when earthed to the motor block and seem to be in good condition. I also removed the black/yellow wire from the swith box as you suggested but no firing still? Could this have anything to do with reed valves??

compression test is next if yo

compression test is next if you are sure it has spark on all 4. The reed valves may fail but not all at the same time. The fuel pump diaphram could also have failed flooding the engine. The flywheel key good have failed or came loose. Its best to due the compression test first to see if the engine is healthy enough to fix.

"Sorry guys have been away for

"Sorry guys have been away for easter.
I have tested the plugs again and now have nothing, so maybe the small spark I was getting could have been the switch box on its way out???
I have tested the mercury switch, the kill switch at the forward controls and all is good until the switch box. So this sounds to be the problem?? Any idea where I could get one over the net?"

are you in the USA? I am in Au

are you in the USA? I am in Australia and they are readily available at most boat wreckers for around $100. usually tested and with a limited warranty. Try EBAY US you never know your luck!!

Ha funny enough im in perth. i

Ha funny enough im in perth. i checked a couple of wreckers already and found one but he wanted $200 so im still looking

Back