Logo

What is required to dewinter engine and boat

roscopico

Regular Contributor
"Hello fellas,

De-winter en

"Hello fellas,

De-winter engine and boat, 40 HP 4 stroke.
re gasoline, used yamaha product to stablize fuel, do I need to remove and re-fill fresh.
Can I used the old fuel in the car

Planning to change the engine oil, can I used the penzzoil marine oil. thanks"

"It's still best to throw

"It's still best to throw the old gas (stablized) in your car - won't hurt it at all - the outboard will appreciate new gas.

Use whatever is recommended for your motor. My Yami manual suggests 10W-30, 10W-40 or 20W40 (API SE, SF, SG, SH) 4 stroke motor oil.

Maybe start the year with new sparkplugs if you didn't change them when you layed it up - your motor will thank you
"

"Graham...I don't understa

"Graham...I don't understand how the old gas could be harmful to the outboard but not the car. Modern auto engines are extremely sophisticated and it would seem that throwing in anything but fresh gas may lead to expensive trouble. Some cars have as many as four oxygen sensors and I understand they can be ruined by impurities. The fuel filters are another issue as is the catalytic convertor. Using a 50 to 1 two cycle mixture might even cause more problems. Years ago I poured old gas into the tank of a low tech, carbureted chevy V8. Even though the gas appeared to be uncontaminated, I wound up having to replace the filter inside the tank and the one in the carburetor. Since that time, The only place I pour the old gas is into my carbureted lawnmower. Labor at the honda automobile dealership is over $100 per hour and I can't afford to create any problems."

"Bob, the biggest problem with

"Bob, the biggest problem with todays gas is it loses it's (octane) rather quickly because of the ethanol and other additives. After about 2 weeks the gas is old.

So a 6 gallon portable boat tank contains 100% old gas. Even a full tank of that stuff thrown in a car (or pick-up like I have) mixes with whatever else is the tank and doesn't seem to cause a problem.

I have been throwing my leftover boat gas, which is mixed at 50:1 with 2 cycle oil in my 99, computer controlled, sensor driven, distributorless F-150 pick-up with zero adverse effect.

I am not talking about putting "contaminated" gas in my truck - just old gas which outboards in particular do not like.

Also, I'm not saying use it after it has sat for months. Anytime that I know the boat won't be out for more than a week, I take the gas at that point and use it elsewhere. If it has sat all winter, unstablized, it is likely extremely water contaminated..."

Back