Logo

Volvo TAMD 41A overheating

salty_dog

"Engine overheats at cruising

"Engine overheats at cruising RPM. Noticeable difference in flow out exhaust. Changed raw waterpump, cleaned heat exchanger, cleaned exhaust elbow, cleaned oil cooler. NO difference any ideas?"

"Salty dog,
Maybe elementry,

"Salty dog,
Maybe elementry, but I have two 41A out of my boat and in my shop. Want to make sure everything is ok, beforing installing. I've run both and let me tell you...they drink lots of water. I've got a 30 gal drum, and in no time it's sucking air. That being said, I'd suggest you check your raw water intake and make sure you are getting a good water supply. Any trash or restrictions before the pump, in the hose or under the boat, will slow circulation and heat up the engine. Plastic bage, leaves, or any thing can cause you big problems.

BobT"

"Bob, I will check the straine

"Bob, I will check the strainer. I tried earlier and could not get the thru-hull valve closed. I did have the fuel polished this winter and the engine ran for 2 hours in about 3' of water. Thanks for the advise."

"Problem solved. I initally or

"Problem solved. I initally ordered a re-build kit for raw water pump. It contained a new impellar,front plate, O ring, and gasket. I was missing a sealing washer that is installed directly under the coverplate. I ordered one and installed it did not help. I located an old pump and salvaged the part off the old pump installed it on the new and problem was solved."

"Larry,
Outstanding info, are

"Larry,
Outstanding info, are you talking about a Jabsco pump? I don't remember a sealing washer, but my pumps work well. Maybe I'm missing something. Does this seal cover the shaft portion of the impellar?
Thanks
BobT"

Bob it is a Jabsco pump. The p

Bob it is a Jabsco pump. The parts house did not know about the top sealing washer. I did find a part number for a sealing washer and ordered it but it is not the correct fit. If you look at the cover plate this washer is attached to the middle inside area directly above the gear. I only found this on an old pump. If your pump works I suggest you not look for this washer in fact don't even look hard at the pump they seem to be tempermental.

"I in water winterised my TAM

"I in water winterised my TAM 41 D last fall. Startingup this spring the engine is overheating at idle, there seems to be water flow out the exhaust.
Any ideas on what I may have done wrong?

Peter Freeman"

Back