Logo

Blackmax 200 lower unit trouble

diggeratl123

"I just bought a used boat. Wh

"I just bought a used boat. When I accelerate on take off at first the engine/ boat move but as I give it more gas it appear like it is not getting traction Engine rpm's increase no lack of power. but no forward movement

Wondering if the lower unit has a clutch ?
Note: Shifting is fine, Engine power fine
or if the wrong prop could cause this inspecting the lower unit it looks like the prop is to small it does not fit all the way up to the housing and is about a 1/2 inch smaller leaves a big gap between prop and housing"

The prop is no good or to smal

The prop is no good or to small when that happens. The spline hub just spins around inside the prop.
There should not be a huge gap between the case and the prop. The prop diamater is not the same as the in-line 6 that was smaller. That is a common mistake.

"Just wanted to say Thank you,

"Just wanted to say Thank you,made a pit stop at the local Merc Dealer and picked up the correct prop. Huge diffrence in size."

I have a 1983 bass tracker Tou

I have a 1983 bass tracker Tournament TX with a 50 Horse Mercury Outboard. I have just replaced the prop and Took the boat out of winterization. The motor started right up and ran great but I noticed that I am leaking oil from the prop area. Is this something that I can fix and is inexpensive? Maybe a bad seal?}

"Brian, first time out this ye

"Brian, first time out this year is when you see oil coming out of the prop - especially after it's been winterized.

The motor has sat all winter, the exhaust coated in either fogging oil, unburnt/burnt 2 cycle oil etc and after it's started all that crud got washed down the exhaust and thru the prop.

For piece of mind you may want to change your lower unit oil (especially if it wasn't done at the end of last season before it was layed up), but if what dripped out looked like old motor oil from your car or alternately, looked kinda like spilled chocolate milkshake, then that is totally normal.

Lower gear oil will usually be either honey coloured or possibly green, depending on the brand used - in any event it is neither black or brownish coloured...."

Back