Logo

283 Chris Craft Timing How do I set timing

J

Jim Hawver

"I have a Chris Craft standard

"I have a Chris Craft standard rotation motor. How do I set up the timing? Thanks, Jim"

There's gotta be a set of

There's gotta be a set of timing marks on the motor--even that assbackwards weid deal. Look on the flywheel (through a cover of sorts) or the pulley.

If you absolutely can't find any marks (rusted away or ???) get back to me and I'll show you how to create new ones.

Jeff

"Hi Jeff, Yes, there timing ma

"Hi Jeff, Yes, there timing marks on the flywheel. I have the distrubitor out and just rebuilt it. Where to I go from there? Thanks, Jim"

"1. Determine which cylinder i

"1. Determine which cylinder is # 1. In that crazy assbackwards setup, even I'm confused!

2. Remove the valve cover and rotate the motor while watching the valves at cylinder # 1 move. When the intake closes, STOP at the next timing mark.

3. Aim the rotor at # 1 plug wire in the cap and drop it in. You may be off a tooth, so be prepared to do it a couple of times.

4. Light 'er up. If you have to rotate the distributor a whole bunch to get the timing about right, pull the distributor and move it a tooth in the "right" direction--you'll probably guess backwards and have to move it two teeth the other way. (Ah-hem.)

Have fun!

Jeff"

Back