Logo

Transom seal

seasprite84

"Hello to all,first I would li

"Hello to all,first I would like to apologize for posting a comment about the starter and referring
to another vendor I didnt realize about the sponsor.
Ok now my question is how hard is it to change a transom seal on an 84 OMC 2.5l stringer drive? Do
I need to remove the lower unit to do it? Also what it has is a little dry crack, is their a rubber sealant that I can put on it instead?

Thanks
Joe"

do NOT seal it with goo - it&#

do NOT seal it with goo - it's keeping you afloat. It can be changed with the drive on the boat - remove the prop and lots of hot soapy water will get it over the drive. It's relatively easy - 2 hour job.

"Is their a sealant that shoul

"Is their a sealant that should be used for the new seal? if so, what would be the best stuff to use?

thanks
Joe"

"A good marine rated RTV on th

"A good marine rated RTV on the transom. No silicone.
OMC actually specs they go on dry, but most people use RTV. I used an orange permatex stuff I had lying around from an engine rebuild - worked great. I did not seal the round part to the intermediate housing where the huge hose clamp is, but I probably would if the boat has selectrim- the constant tilting could try to pull it out of the clamp."

What clamp are you refering to

What clamp are you refering to their isnt a clamp on the seal now and what is considered the intermediate housing is their any pics to look at

thanks
Joe

Thanks for all your help Hy St

Thanks for all your help Hy Stat and yes I purchased
a manual and I also removed the old transom seal and noticed the clamp you were referring too. But sierra doesnt sell a transom seal on their web page it states NA for the seal any suggestion would be great

Thanks
joe

From this site:
TRANSOM SEAL

From this site:
TRANSOM SEAL
List Price
$114.00
Part Number
18-2768
Your Price
$88.26