Logo

Oil filter

John:

Fram filters aren&#

John:

Fram filters aren't high quality filters.
Click on "Engine Parts" above and insert 35-866340Q03 in the PART NO. box.

OE oil filter part no. 35-866340Q03

ok well i had to have one toda

ok well i had to have one today and the marine part store closed until monday. I pulled the one off of it and it was a NAPA filter calledd NAPA Gold 1069. so thats what I put back on it. Next time I change the oil I will get a better one from this website. but thanks. do you think this filter will do for a while or should I change it soon

John:

Napa Gold filters are

John:

Napa Gold filters are made by WIX filters. It will work and do a good job.

"Are Mercury oil filters and o

"Are Mercury oil filters and oil "better"???

A buddy of mine is a Merc Corp Tech Rep and he says you shouldn't use "auto" oil filters because in normal operation Mercruisers run in the 3500-4500 range, vs about 2000-2500 in a car. Therefore the filter has to be designed for greater throughput. Sounds reasonable but are Merc filters really "different" so that they actually perform this needed function or is that just sales hipe to sell hi-priced filters?

He also claims Merc oil has special non-drain-off additives to prevent dry cranking. ??

My 1979 470 had an auto filter on it when I bought it in 1986 and I have only used "good" auto filters and oil since with no problems except one burned exhaust valve, which I attribute to sorry unleaded gas we are stuck with
these days. However I run very little above 3200 rpm. Am I just lucky or what? JW in Dixie"

JW:

Oil filters were chewed

JW:

Oil filters were chewed on here last year for a few weeks. I'm inclined to believe Merc.'s rep. Besides it's only a few $$ saved each oil change; why chance a split filter? It only takes a few seconds w/o oil to destroy an engine at 4500 RPMs. How do we know how much oil bypasses the auto filter vs. the Merc. filter? We don't! We just have to take the Merc. rep's word for it.

Back